• Register
  • Help

Topic: Problems with GPO Sibelius

Share/Bookmark

Problems with GPO Sibelius

I bought the GPO Sibelius crossgrade a few days ago (I already had GPO installed). I haven't been able to use it much yet because of a few problems:

1-My GPO library is not installed in the default location. I have it on a separate drive. Whenever I load any file, I have to manually show Sibelius where to find the samples for EVERY instrument. On a full orchestra score this takes forever, as I have to navigate through many folders and subfolders for each and every instrument.

2-What's more, sometimes the instrument is found in a different library than it asks for (i.e. sometimes it asks for library part 1 but the sample actually turns out to be in library part 3--which means I have to guess through trial and error).

3-In larger ensembles (even just a small baroque orchestra) I have problems with stuttering and a constand crackling sound. I am working with 2gb RAM and I have experimented with very high latency, which has not solved the problem. Is there a way to fix this?

Any advice on how to fix these things would be appreciated. Right now it's basically unusable

Thanks,
    chris.

Re: Problems with GPO Sibelius

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    I bought the GPO Sibelius crossgrade a few days ago (I already had GPO installed). I haven't been able to use it much yet because of a few problems:

1-My GPO library is not installed in the default location. I have it on a separate drive. Whenever I load any file, I have to manually show Sibelius where to find the samples for EVERY instrument. On a full orchestra score this takes forever, as I have to navigate through many folders and subfolders for each and every instrument.

2-What's more, sometimes the instrument is found in a different library than it asks for (i.e. sometimes it asks for library part 1 but the sample actually turns out to be in library part 3--which means I have to guess through trial and error).

3-In larger ensembles (even just a small baroque orchestra) I have problems with stuttering and a constand crackling sound. I am working with 2gb RAM and I have experimented with very high latency, which has not solved the problem. Is there a way to fix this?

Any advice on how to fix these things would be appreciated. Right now it's basically unusable

Thanks,
    chris.
    If the library is not in the default location, then there is no way for Sibelius to "remember" where it is - can you copy it to the default location? It does take up mroe disk space, but it allows you to work both with the crossgrade, and as the GPO standalone.

For #2, I have no idea.

#3 Not knowing your CPU/platform, etc., it's hard to say. Have you postted this on the Sibelius site, as well? They may be able to better advise you as to specs needed to run a certain size ensemble.

R. Pearl

Here are parts of the cross-grade installation instructions:

Now locate your original Garritan Personal Orchestra installation files using Windows Explorer. If you accepted the default installation location they will be at C:\Program Files\Garritan Personal Orchestra\GPO Library

Select the three large .nks files in there called GPO_Library_part1.nks, GPO_Library_part2.nks, and GPO_Library_part3.nks at the same time, by holding down the Ctrl key as you select each one

Choose Edit > Cut (shortcut Ctrl+C) for this selection of files, then navigate to where the SibeliusSilverLib.nks file is located (by default, this will be either C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt Player Sibelius\Sibelius Library or C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Sibelius Player\Sibelius Library). Click in the folder alongside SibeliusSilverLib.nks and choose Edit > Paste (shortcut Ctrl+V) to move the three large GPO .nks files here from their original location.

I'd recommend that you copy (Ctrl-C) and not cut (Ctrl-X) the nks files. That is, of course, if you have enough disk space.

Serge

Is there a way just to point the Sibelius player to the right location? I can't imagine this is a difficult thing to do.

My hard drives are partitioned so that I have all of my samples on the D drive and all of my programs on C. I keep C drive trim and don't bloat it with samples or audio data. There is not enough space to put the samples there, and I don't want to have a lot of redundant data anyway.

The GPO DXi and VST has an option to set the library directory. Can this option be included in an update of the Sibelius player?

Thanks,
    chris.

I'm afraid that Sibelius' Kontakt player expects to find the files in a specific location.

Well, I solved the stuttering problem. Apparently it was trying to play through my onboard laptop sound card using MME--I must have missed the "audio setup" page during installation and it defaulted to these settings. Switching to my Echo Indigo with ASIO drivers seems to have helped.

The library location issue is still annoying me--I had to re-partition my hard drive in order to copy the library files over to the proper directory comfortably. There has GOT to be a way to adjust the default directory for the library files--who do I need to talk to in order to get this implemented in the next patch? Sibelius? Native Instruments?

chris.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiobklyn
    Here are parts of the cross-grade installation instructions:

Now locate your original Garritan Personal Orchestra installation files using Windows Explorer. If you accepted the default installation location they will be at C:\Program Files\Garritan Personal Orchestra\GPO Library

Select the three large .nks files in there called GPO_Library_part1.nks, GPO_Library_part2.nks, and GPO_Library_part3.nks at the same time, by holding down the Ctrl key as you select each one

Choose Edit > Cut (shortcut Ctrl+C) for this selection of files, then navigate to where the SibeliusSilverLib.nks file is located (by default, this will be either C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt Player Sibelius\Sibelius Library or C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Sibelius Player\Sibelius Library). Click in the folder alongside SibeliusSilverLib.nks and choose Edit > Paste (shortcut Ctrl+V) to move the three large GPO .nks files here from their original location.

I'd recommend that you copy (Ctrl-C) and not cut (Ctrl-X) the nks files. That is, of course, if you have enough disk space.

Serge
    Serge
    Here I may need some help from you. I did exactly as it was said in installation instruction and still do not see the oiginal GPO library instruments in Sibelius. What is sees are the original pre-set combinations and that is all. What did I do wrong?
    Witold

Quote Originally Posted by wsuryn
    Serge
    Here I may need some help from you. I did exactly as it was said in installation instruction and still do not see the oiginal GPO library instruments in Sibelius. What is sees are the original pre-set combinations and that is all. What did I do wrong?
    Witold
    The presets are what you should see. They are arranged in groups, but if you choose the Modern Orchestra as your default library, you will have access to the whole lot. Now you can go to the mixer and change any instrument, or if you start a new score, it should load the instruments according to what the scoring is. You may need to hit Reset Sounds in the Mixer.

Hope this helps.

R. Pearl

Hi Zoot,

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    Well, I solved the stuttering problem. Apparently it was trying to play through my onboard laptop sound card using MME--I must have missed the "audio setup" page during installation and it defaulted to these settings. Switching to my Echo Indigo with ASIO drivers seems to have helped.

The library location issue is still annoying me--I had to re-partition my hard drive in order to copy the library files over to the proper directory comfortably. There has GOT to be a way to adjust the default directory for the library files--who do I need to talk to in order to get this implemented in the next patch? Sibelius? Native Instruments?

chris.
    Yes, a way to do this already exists. You'll need to put all your Sibelius library files in the same place - I have all mine (GPO, Gold, Rock&Pop) installed on an external hard drive (N, with the program in the standard location on the C: drive. The easiest way to achieve this is to just reinstall Sibelius, and tell it the new location of your library directory, for example, I used N:\Native Instruments\Sibelius Player\ (if I recall correctly).

Anyway bottom line is - when you install Sibelius you can nominate a different location for all the library files.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards, David

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    The presets are what you should see. They are arranged in groups, but if you choose the Modern Orchestra as your default library, you will have access to the whole lot. Now you can go to the mixer and change any instrument, or if you start a new score, it should load the instruments according to what the scoring is. You may need to hit Reset Sounds in the Mixer.

Hope this helps.

R. Pearl
    Thanks. I found myself where the stupid move was made (I made it) but your opinion helped verify it. Thanks again.
    witold

Go Back to forum