• Register
  • Help

Topic: Audio streaming or just download?

Share/Bookmark

Audio streaming or just download?

I have paid for a subscription for a site to put my mp3 demo's on.
    My first two demo's were put onto the Garritan forum by Gary as I did not know how to do this myself.

I have contacted my website owners and they said that I cannot do "streaming" of mp3's from my website, but I think there is some confusion here.

When we click on a demo link, and, well, what happens for me is the big "Q" symbol for "Quicktime" comes onto my screen, and then the progress bar. I then press the appropriate symbol and it plays.

Is this "streaming" when we listen to the mp3's or just a form of download?

I don't think it's streaming - that's what I do believe I get when I go to various "news" websites, and you watch what some of the news presentations you would sometimes get on the television.

Could someone please enlighten me on this?

thanks for any information,

best,

Steve Martin.

Re: Audio streaming or just download?

Basically, "streaming" means that the player buffers just enough of the downloading file that it can play uninterrupted while the file contiues to download and then playback will start. Non-streaming means the entire file must download before it begins to play.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Basically, "streaming" means that the player buffers just enough of the downloading file that it can play uninterrupted while the file contiues to download and then playback will start. Non-streaming means the entire file must download before it begins to play.
    Hello Fred,

thank you for your reply and help. So, when we access mp3's of this forum, are we "streaming"?
    If you can tell me either yes or no, that should hopefully help me clear up the problem for me with the website provider that I am now with.

Thanks,

Steve.

Hello Fred,
    I've just found out from my website company, that Mp3's are ok!
    thanks again for the help.

best,

Steve.

Good deal!

Go Back to forum