• Register
  • Help

Topic: Americana Demo

Share/Bookmark

Americana Demo

Hi Folks,

I apologize, but I do not remember who posted the thread that gave a link that advertised the need for a score, that lay in the house that Jack built. But I want to say "thank you". Not because I got the gig, but because it made me think in a different genre. So anyhow, here is something I drafted that I thought would fit the bill.

The score is for a pic that is called "Dog Jack" and is about a runaway slave and I thought that this fit the era. I'm just curious what you think and perhaps you could post something that you would have submitted.

http://ia300007.us.archive.org/2/ite...ogjackTrot.mp3

Thanks for listening! Can't wait to hear what you think or what you might create for a similar project!

~Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Re: Americana Demo

I really liked this. It does fit the period very well and has an almost Copeland feel. My only criticism is where's the rest of it? You've got enough solid material here to stretch this out to 8 - 10 minutes. Well done.

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Americana Demo

Thank you - I might develop it further, but I just wanted to take a stab at the style first. I also noticed after I finished, that it is the first 3/4 time piece that I didn't swing or waltz out. Rather startled me that I could do that... Thanks for your kind remarks!

~Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Hi Paula

THis is very "cute". I enjoyed it very much. I'm not sure what you're saying about the score.... , sometimes my English fails me! But even just listening to it without knowing what it is about, it is very enjoyable music. And I agree with Bill, you should give us more!
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Hi Paula!

Congratulations!! I'm so jealous!! What a great bit of news to get right before Christmas!! Please keep us posted as to how the project goes!! Very nice work!!

Steph

I'm sorry - I just realized that I wrote my message in a confusing way. I did not get the scoring job (at least I haven't heard,but I don't think so). I was just posting what I submitted and thought it would be neat to hear what other people would have submitted and get criticism as to what I might have missed or did well in my immitation of the Americana genre.

The film about is a Civil War drama and a runaway slave and his dog join the Northern forces in the fight against the South. I probably should have done something more dramatic. Maybe that's what you might do? Would love to hear it!

Sorry for the confusion.

Best and Merry Christmas!
    Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Hi Paula!

Sorry about the confusion . I was really happy for you!! Your piece is right on for the period and I think that it's great! The pieces that I sent were darker and sad, very much what I usually do. Good Luck!! Merry Christmas to you too

Steph
    Last edited by Stephanie Pray; 12-23-2005 at 09:02 PM. Reason: spelling!!! and GRAMMAR!!!

Hi Paula,
    congrats on this beautiful and fine piece.
    Music so light and . A very pleasure to hear!!
    When all the orchestra sing it is something relaxing....
    I hope to be able to talk directly with you where you live the next year.

Congrats on this fine tunes!

Roberto

Quote Originally Posted by beach
    I hope to be able to talk directly with you where you live the next year.

Congrats on this fine tunes!

Roberto
    That is great news! I hope it means that you will be getting a California University post-doc position. Please let us know where! Congratulations!

~Paula

PS - And thank you for your your nice comments!
    Cheers!
    Paula

Very nice work on this, Paula!

Excellent job of fitting this to evoke the thematic focus, and I like the lusher string section.

I might suggest backing off the ostinato in the low strings a bit (maybe some pizz. at the outset)... it'll carry, not to worry. Works really well, musically.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum