• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I'm rejuvenated

Share/Bookmark

I'm rejuvenated

I've got to tell everybody here that 3 weeks ago I did'nt know any of this(GS3, Konktakt, high quality orchestral samples) existed. Yes, I'm way out of the loop, but I have my old Korg synth and Cakewalk.
    So, 3 weeks ago I decide to get back into music making and go to Guitar Center in Hollywood. I tell the salesman to show me the best string and horn sounds available. I figured Kurtsweil or Korg has got something new. No, it still sounds like a synth to me. So I buy Sonar 5 PE and go home. Now I'm looking for Reason refills and bump into a Miroslav demo. I'm thinking "What is that? That's beautiful" It says it's a Giga file format. Then I discover Tascams site. Holy crap Batman, where did all this stuff come from. This is great!! I go back to Guitar center the next day and say "why did'nt you tell me about Giga Studio and where are the giga samples?" He says "well I do have one copy of GS3 but we don't stock the samples".
    Since I got GS3 I've brought up the subject with freinds at work and others, and like me, no one knew such orchestral quality could come from a computer.
    Anyway, I'm very happy I ran across all this. I even like my old Korg again. Now it can be what it is. A synth.

Re: I'm rejuvenated

Right with you! I just learned of all the possibilities out there and am excited about all the oppurtunities. Read through these threads on the forum and there are many examples of other libraries, and ideas of things you can do!!
    "When I am in the right mood, ideas seem to teem with me. Those I like to retain. When I start composing I draw upon the accumulation in my brain." -Motzart

Just learned about all this huh?...Heh!...Don't know it yet but your about to blow through LOT's of money maybe even some you don't have....Stay stupid my friend....

I'm happy for you!! Myself, I'm burned on samples and I'm feeling the same way about my Nord Lead.

Just learned about all this huh?...Heh!...Don't know it yet but your about to blow through LOT's of money maybe even some you don't have....Stay stupid my friend....

Tell me about it! I figure I need about $700 to get my computer up to snuff. And I've already decided to get KH Emerald, Genovi choir, a good piano sample. And that's just to get started.
    The way I see it is I've got freinds that put $12,000 into an old car to hop it up or buy a $20,000 Harley. So what's 4 or 5 thousand. At least thats what I've been telling my wife.

I went throug that phase years ago, and i'm still in it , the only deference is that i predicted all this(o.k.it was obvious), 15 years ago, and of corse, i forgot all about it, and then rediscover. wouaw!

I think your wife should find a hoby ,

BTW, Kurk Hunter stuff, is the best value for your money, great choice,and remenber how lucky you are, same lib. a few years ago would habe been way more expensive. Have fun.

Actually, my wife is cool about this. We're retiring in 1 1/2 years and moving to Idaho. My son is up there. So do I get a bass boat or invest in my music and video hobby. Besides, I don't really get off on fishing and I can do music 12 months a year.

we could very well be out of fish whit in a few years, but sampling will be there for ever, i'm saying this after seeing green peace chassing ''japonnes flowting fishing factory'' . go get them green preace .

Congrats guys on finally discovering this stuff. I remember when I first found out about computer sampling technology -- I discovered soundfonts and thought it was amazing. Then I discovered a whole new level of pro sampling and have not stopped since. And the stuff gets better and better every year.

Just make sure you choose wisely (I think the KHSO Emerald is a great start) and enjoy.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    I discovered soundfonts and thought it was amazing. Then I discovered a whole new level of pro sampling and have not stopped since.
    My story exactly.

Go Back to forum