• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ethnic Drums heads up

Share/Bookmark

Ethnic Drums heads up

Hi,

Just wanted to let those of you who don't know about a library I just ordered and its well worth the very low cost - "230 Ethnic Drums and Percussions" - these are from a gentleman named Doru Malaia. If any of you are familiar with the propellerhead reason forums you'd be familiar with him as a long time contributor.

http://www.dorumalaia2.com/230ethnicdrumsperc.htm

Steve

Re: Ethnic Drums heads up

Yes and you're supporting a true gentleman and a fighting cancer patient.

Steve,

Since these one shot samples are any of them multiple velocities of the same hit?
    So that they could be made into a velocity switching patch?

Thanks for posting the link. I am whipping out the Credit card tonight.

Smile Re: Ethnic Drums heads up

You don't really get multiple velocity layers, because the samples have all been normalised. But if you spread the samples across the keyboard, rather than layering them on one key, this isn't a problem, since you can then apply a velocity curve to each sample.

What you do get is a tonne of samples. Important instruments such as Tabla, Bongos, Surdo etc are represented by 100+ samples each, whilst almost all instruments have upwards of 30 samples.

I'm currently in the middle of turning all the samples into Kontakt instruments, and I have to say the disc has been one of the best buys I ever made. Not only that, but Dorumalaia's customer service is fantastic. I bought the disc in the Summer, but didn't try using it until two weeks ago, when it proved to be unreadable. So I emailed him and, rather than pointing out that I'd had the disc several months longer than the acceptable period for finding faults, he sent me another copy the next day.

Yes, also mine arrived from romania to canada within 6 days during the christmas rush (just recieved it yesterday), so delivery should be nice and fast as well.

Also, as JB mentioned above, he does have pulmonary cancer from what i've read and I think you'd not only be getting a fantastic value for your $30(!!!) dollars but you'd be helping out someone who doesnt necessarily have as long as most of us might in the world to enjoy it. This could be the best christmas gift you give this year (to you and HIM). I had been aware of this library for the past 6 months or so, but decided it was time to give it a try and no matter what reason you might buy it, it is very very well worth the money - there are some things on this library i've never seen in other libraries anywhere.

I'm very surprised at the amount of content on it.

steve

I too ordered this library and received it recently. I'm very impressed by the variety and quality of the sounds, which rivals Stormdrum and Ra (both of which I also own). Doru himself is incredibly talented and friendly, and it's very sad that his illness is so serious. According to him there is not much that can be done because it is in the late stages..
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    You don't really get multiple velocity layers, because the samples have all been normalised. But if you spread the samples across the keyboard, rather than layering them on one key, this isn't a problem, since you can then apply a velocity curve to each sample.
    Strangely I prefer it like this. Maybe I got used to it from manually playing spectrasonics groove control libs.

I just wanted to make sure that there WERE softer velocity samples!

Thanks for the input and the tip about this lib. I am ordering today.

Anyone hear his Percussion efx disc?

Yes, I bought that one too (he lowered the price from over $100 to $30). It's pretty much just what it sounds like, TONS of percussive effects.. and I mean TONS! We're talking 20k+ samples.

Disc 1 is devoted to "Metals" - all sort of hits, scrapes, bangs, clangs, and so forth. There is both processed and unprocessed material here.

Disc 2 has a variety of things. Kicks, snares, claps, whistles, reversed stuff, all processed in a variety of ways. There are also distorted sounds, "electric" sounds, and synth sounds of various types.

Disc 3 is your "big hits" disc. Various processed hits, zaps, sweeps, and so forth. More of an sfx collection than anything else.

Disc 4 is mainly sound effects. Computer noises, alien fx, lasers, weapons, explosions, morphs, you name it.

While perhaps not as useful in your traditional music, I could see working these into a lot of kinds of electronic music - they're also great for sound design and effects work.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Go Back to forum