• Register
  • Help

Topic: LOG: A Stradivari Experience!

Share/Bookmark

Cool LOG: A Stradivari Experience!

The Stradi is really something new in the world of virtual instruments.

It sounds great out of the box, just moving correctly the controllers. In few minutes it is possible to understand all sound emission technics...BUT...

It's like a real instrument, you need a little of study and time to find out the best expression, and TO MAKE YOUR SOUND BETTER!

Yes, the sound is alive, and is controlled by you: you may produce a sweet, amazing sound, as an horrible rude sound, you may find the nice and good vibrato, as a flat unexpressive one, and make vibrato enrich your sound or make it fake and acid. And only YOU are the cause of all that events!

The last "as-the-real-thing" experience is the interpretation of a performance: your taste and your personal style, doesn't matter if you are playing in real time, or you are programming accurately your sequencer, it will be so important that it's possible to play the same phrase or sequence in a nearly infinite different ways, and YOU and ME will never play the same sound, expression, colour.

I received strong critics and strong approval for fragment of music, all technically perfect, just because of the sound or vibrato choices, as a real performer in musical newspaper after his concert! The challenge was no longer to make it real, or to make it expressive, but to make it excellent.

My first reaction was "Hey guys, you are crazy, it's a virtual inst., I'm playing a keyboard and a sequencer, I'm not a violinist during a concert..." but later I started to like this challenge, that drive me back to my Conservatorio student and performer time, receiving by improvement and research the same satisfaction and motivation.

You will tell me if I had been right or not, after a trial of the innovative last creation of Giorgio, Stefano and Gary. See we soon...

Re: LOG: A Stradivari Experience!

My wife gave me my first violin two and a half weeks ago.

Stupid violin. It didn't sound very good right out of the box...

-JF

Fabio! SSSSTOOOP! Awwwwwhhhhhhh stop it you can't do this to us! The Strad, the Strad! We want the Strad! It's killing me to even think of never owning the Strad!
    Stop ... cry tear cry some more ... stop please have mercy on us!
    Styxx

Fabio,

I too have had a little glimpse into this absolutely stunning library! I am simply amazed.
    My first effort wasn't very good. You are so right, in that it takes some time and practice developing the skill to really create a realistic (and musically expressive) performance. My hardware is less than worthy of this library, so I had to do most of the expression, vibrato, etc. drawing it in after the fact. I think, after some time, I FINALLY have a grasp on the techniques of this library. It really helps if you do know how to play a violin - or at least - how one is played. During my first attempt, I was so enthralled by how awesome this was, that I forgot most of the simple technical things I needed to know to create a realistic performance.

Since then I have had a lot of feedback and help getting it right. Gary gave me a lot of advice and helpful hints. This truly is a breathtaking and groundbreaking sample library.

One of the most important concepts with this library - just to give you all a advanced "heads up". The expression controller and the vibrato go hand in hand. Using them both together at the same time (with judicious and artistic judgement) REALLY is the key to creating that realism. USE YOUR EARS! I would recommend listening to several solo violinists and try to emulate that. Take careful notice how vibrato is used, how legato, slurs, bowing and phrasing are used. ALSO - as in most instruments - there is almost NEVER a static dynamic. let it breathe.

Soon, guys, SOON!

Jerry.
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Fabio and Jerry described the state of the art of playing a virtual instrument with advanced expressive capabilities.

In fact, when it seemed that physical modelling was about to yield playable instruments, many papers focused on the necessity of innovative physical interfaces, more suitable for real time control of the many parameters involved. However, these interfaces were by design totally unsuitable to exploit the expertise of a traditionally educated and trained musician.

Months ago I saw “The Holy Girl”, a movie from Pedro Almodóvar, where a virtual instrument (a synth violin) was played by moving both hands in the air, very much like a theremin. A similar approach, wearing two colored gloves and moving them on the stage was recently publicized in Finland for virtual no-guitar players. http://airguitar.tml.hut.fi/ .

We did not want to go so far. We wanted the Stradivari to be playable with a conventional midi setup., i .e. a keyboard with some controllers. However, even this minimalistic, old-fashioned (but musician-friendly) approach, requires proper use of the recommended controller setup for accomplishing realistic and expressive performances.

In my opinion, mastering the violin is best achieved by real time playing. This approach gives you an immediate feedback on your controller use, and this can greatly shorten the learning curve. After this initial training you’ll be able to more effectively use your sequencer.

My advice is to check in advance if your midi setup conforms to the requirements for the proper functioning of the instrument (see below). If you don’t have an expression pedal, by all means get one.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    KEYBOARD REQUIREMENTS FOR OPTIMAL USE:
    (From "The Complete Virtuoso’s Manual to Stradivari Solo Violin")

A five, preferably six-octave keyboard, mapped or mappable from C1 to C6 or more.
    A mod wheel, mapped to cc #1 (modulation) to control transition from senza vibrato to con vibrato.
    Channel aftertouch, mapped to Aftertouch to control vibrato rate.
    A pitch wheel to control pitch.
    An expression pedal, mapped to cc #11 (expression) to control crossfading among the dynamic layers.
    A sustain pedal to activate legato with bow change.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Following these suggestions you will not be disappointed and will greatly enjoy the instrument, almost "out of the box".

Giorgio

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio Tommasini
    In my opinion, mastering the violin is best achieved by real time playing. This approach gives you an immediate feedback on your controller use, and this can greatly shorten the learning curve. After this initial training you’ll be able to more effectively use your sequencer.
    Giorgio
    I wholeheartily agree with the above! I found the more I developed a real-time technique, the faster (and better) I was able to re-create it within my sequencer (piano roll and pencil) later.

My hardware has just enough power to let me play this in real-time, with all the controllers, I just have a hard time recording it at the same time on the same machine as my sequencer. I would NOT recommend my setup to anyone. So don't look at my hardware and think, "Hey, Jerry can do it on his stuff, my sad, slow machine will be just fine!" NOT!!! I am working on upgrading my setup to a more powerful machine hosting all my VSTi's.

I cannot thank Gary, Giorgio, and all the rest of the people who developed this stunning violin enough. I constantly am having to catch my breath as I play, it is just so wonderful.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Smile Re: LOG: A Stradivari Experience!

Thank you Giorgio for your contribution in the ideal set-up vs. musical experience description. I quote and agree.

Go Back to forum