• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Who'd be interested in my KVM/AudioMidi Article?

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Who'd be interested in my KVM/AudioMidi Article?

I'm in the process of writing an article about my recent travails and SUCCESS!!! in setting up our studio to communicate KVM, Audio, AND Midi all over a measley ethernet cable. It was a trying process but it seems to have been a success and along the way I discovered some technologies in the making that may make this easier.
    Basically, we now have a Mac running Logic communicating with 3 Gigastudio/Kontakt PC's. All with one keyboard and monitor. The XP computers just appear as regular resizable windows in OSX. Dozens and potentally hundreds of audio tracks are sent over the ethernet cable along with a couple hundred Midi channels...with low latency! Setting this up is not for the faint of heart, but I thought an article about the process may be helpful to those trying it or a warning to others who'd be better off waiting until their Blackberries have enough CPU to run "EWQLSO v.36.5" and "Son of the Return of GPOA."

Would anybody be interested in reading this kind of thing? It seems that people hearty enough to take this task on would not need an article from the likes of me. On the other hand, if I had seen a detailed article on it I could have finished the project faster...

Re: Who'd be interested in my KVM/AudioMidi Article?

Seems like a wonderful thing to share!
    While many of us could probably do it on our own, it would be great to read an article by someone who has REALLY been there, done that.

Count me in!

Diego

Very interesting!

/Mats

Sounds great!

-JF

I would definitely be interested! I've been doing a lot of reading about multi-cpu setups, and slowly saving my tens of fives of dollars to invest in such a system. Sharing your experience would really be helpful to users in a similar situation. Thanks!

I'm a professional tech support guy. I'd love to read your article.

For the KVM stuff, I use UltraVNC on Windows XP and a combination of OSXvnc 1.6.1 and Chicken of the VNC 2.0b3 on Mac OS X Tiger. But I'm not networking audio between computers at the moment.

Wheat, I'd like to hear more about UltraVNC. I tried Chicken of the VNC during this project and loved it but found the screen response too slow. RDC was much smoother. It looks like ultraVNC Has some kind of special video driver, how well does that work?

I haven't tested things that thoroughly. In my house we have a 100-base Ethernet wired network. I use UltraVNC on the Windows XP boxes. I believe it's the fastest thing going for Windows. When I connect to a Windows box from the Mac using Chicken of the VNC at millions of colors, the screen redraw rate is great, although there is still a bit of lag with the cursor.

Previously, installing the UltraVNC special video driver was very difficult, but since they got to Version 1.0 the installer takes care of everything for you. Give it a try.

They have a good user forum at http://forum.ultravnc.net/

I use multiple machines, and I'm just rebuilding the studio (again) with a second MOTU 2408 to get 3 more lightpipe I/O lines. I have a 10/100 and a gigabit Enetwork which also need tweaking to optimize.

Your article will definitely be of value.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

I'm not there (level of complexity in my DAW) yet, but I can forsee the day when something like this will be necessary. So...Yes I'd be interested in the article.

Fred

Go Back to forum