• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Humming noise with Gigastudio running

Share/Bookmark

Humming noise with Gigastudio running

Has anyone else noticed a soft high pitched hum or whine when running GS3? I'm not sure what's causing it. It's similar to a noise you might hear when the hard disk interferes with your sound output.

I'm using an Audiophile 2496 so it may be their GSIF driver. If I turn the audio on and off in GS I can hear the sound go away and come back.
    I've also noticed that the sound will change slightly when you choose different sample rates in GS.

The sound is only audible through my monitors and not through headphones. And it is much weaker if the monitors are run through a mixer. They are currently coming straight out of the sound card.
    Westgate Studios
    Sound Libraries for Gigastudio and Kontakt

Re: Humming noise with Gigastudio running

Do you have dithering on? Dithering adds noise to mask bit quantization errors. Normally, one can't hear it, but...

-JF

No it is not enabled. I tried checking and unchecking it. I didn't hear a difference with the sound.
    Westgate Studios

It's possible that you're hearing CPU bus noise. When GS3's engine is running there is more CPU activity and the EMI might be getting into your soundcard through the air, a weak ground or the power supply. That's one problem with having the D/As on a PCI card - the insides of a PC are very hostile.

You might try routing all wires as far away as possible from the 2496. Re-seat the card as far away from the CPU/video card as possible. Make sure that all of your power supply wires are plugged in tight. Buy higher quality audio cables.

I use the Audiophile 192, which has balanced outputs. I've never noticed any noise associated with GS3's audio engine.

Best of luck in cleaning up your audio!

-JF

The other possibility is a quiet stuck note. However, this wouldn't happen when you are just starting.

I'm now routing my monitors through a mixer instead of driectly out of the sound car. This lowers the level of the noise by about 80-90%. However, I recently noticed that the sound is magnified with Gigapulse activated. I can hear it come and go by pressing the Bypass button.
    Westgate Studios

Why not try another sound card and see if your first guess was right? jc

Unfortunately the Audiophile is the only GSIF card that I have.
    Westgate Studios

Ahh-ha...poverty! I hate that stuff. If you're anywhere near L.A. I can lend you one for the time it takes to check it out. Cheers, jc

I recently noticed that the sound is magnified by Gigapulse as well.
    Westgate Studios

Go Back to forum