• Help
Page 1 of 24 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: Intelligent Design KO'd

Share/Bookmark

Intelligent Design KO'd

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10545387/

"Intelligent design" is "a religious alternative masquerading as a scientific theory" and cannot be mentioned in biology classes in a Pennsylvania public school district, a federal judge said Tuesday, ruling in one of the biggest courtroom clashes on evolution since the 1925 Scopes trial.

Wow. Isn't this as stupid as ruling that one can't mention evolution?

I believe that it's valid to mention ID in a science class as a hypothesis - not as a scientific theory. The class can freely discuss how they might test the hypothesis.

The only problem I have with ID is when it is called a scientific theory. It's not. Evolution is. Many examples of evolution have been tested and validated. Test and validate an intelligent designer, and ID can become a scientific theory too.

Anyway, I think this court decision went too far. Rather than seek truth, it tries to squash what it sees as false. It simply continues polarization and politicization.

Scientists should not fear even the most wild hypothesis. We just need to be careful about what is promoted to the level of a scientific theory or law.

-JF

Re: Intelligent Design KO'd

Here's my take and it's pretty simple. *I* like to think that there is a greater power behind all of us and everything... *but* I do *not* believe ID is something to be taught in a science class... it belongs in church. It is not science and we really have no proof but our faith.

Hope I made some sense and did not offend anyone. Life was easier when all we had to do was cut up a frog in science class

What's funny is is that the more you study evolutionary theory the more wildly made up it seems to be. They both totter on the edge of unbelievable and are without physical substance and both require huge leaps of faith.

Amazing one is preferred over the other. After all the studying I've done, they both seem to require miracles to be factual. Neither (by the standards of science) really qualify as 'scientific theory.'

I think its a shame really. I thought fundemental Christians were bad about shunning open discussion of things, but it appears the Darwinist are increasingly afraid too.

I don't think they should teach anything in school!

(Yale might be a good example)

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    What's funny is is that the more you study evolutionary theory the more wildly made up it seems to be. They both totter on the edge of unbelievable and are without physical substance and both require huge leaps of faith.

Amazing one is preferred over the other. After all the studying I've done, they both seem to require miracles to be factual. Neither (by the standards of science) really qualify as 'scientific theory.'

I think its a shame really. I thought fundemental Christians were bad about shunning open discussion of things, but it appears the Darwinist are increasingly afraid too.
    Evolution is not a theory. It has been proven. It continues to be proven.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

They both totter on the edge of unbelievable and are without physical substance and both require huge leaps of faith.

Neither (by the standards of science) really qualify as 'scientific theory.'
    JB,

Would you like to give some examples of "leaps of faith" and how evolution does not qualify as a "scientific theory (by the standards of science)"?

;-)
    jim

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

There are two types of evolution: macro and micro. Microevolution is something we can easily see in our world--it is what Darwin saw in his finches. Microevolution is variation within species. Macroevolution, on the other hand, is the idea that EVERYTHING came gradually from nothing. It has never been proven, as the vast amount of time it supposedly requires is far beyond a human lifespan to observe, and it has numerous flaws inherent within it. However, macroevolution is what Darwin assumed when he saw microevolution, and many people accept his skip in logic. Scientists have never succeeded in getting something living from dirt and goo, and the closest they have gotten was with an environment in which the life could not live! Thus, macroevolution requires a leap of faith to believe, since it cannot be proven. However, since ID suggests a supernatural being, people claim it suggests religion, which is of course horrible to talk about in schools! I think if they ban mention of ID, they should ban mention of Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, and everything else, because they all talk about religion. For goodness sakes, tell the kids that there is an alternative to the unproven evolution "theory" and let them make up their own minds!!!! Banning ID is indoctrination, not education.

What's funny is is that the more you study evolutionary theory the more wildly made up it seems to be. They both totter on the edge of unbelievable and are without physical substance ...
    I take it you dont have much of a backround in science in general and even less in evolutionary theory in particular. Sorry to be so blunt, but why make such a statement when it's quite clear that you literally don't know what you're talking about.

Of course there are aspects of the theory which are not understood, but the theory, as a general approach to understanding, is our best attempt to explain the unexplainable.

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    Evolution is not a theory. It has been proven. It continues to be proven.
    Unless you've established your own defination of the word, "theory", you're mistaken. You're also mistaken that evolutionary theory, in total, is proven.

Science uses the word "theory", for good reason: it implies that because we dont have all the facts and that new facts keep pouring in, our ideas are susceptable to change. All "theories" are provisional for this reason.

I know you want certainty but you wont get it from science; you'll have to turn to funadamentalists for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie
    For goodness sakes, tell the kids that there is an alternative to the unproven evolution "theory" and let them make up their own minds!!!! Banning ID is indoctrination, not education.
    So show us the competing "scientific" alternative to evolution and we can argue about it. ID is certainly not a candidate becuase it's NOT a THEORY...IT's NOT FALSIFIABLE, ergo not a theory.

...discuss ID all you want to, along with Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Janism, Hindumism, Wicca, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, the Cult of the Ancestors, et al. Just don't do it in science class....'cuase it ain't science!

;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 24 123411 ... LastLast