• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: HP Playback export with Finale Files?

Share/Bookmark

HP Playback export with Finale Files?

I'm wondering if anyone can advise if there is a way to preserve (exactly) the results you get from playing back a Finale 2006b file using HP when you export the file as midi. My aim is to take the results of carefully edited Finale files, export them and then remix them in Digital Performer. So far, what happens is that the notes, tempo changes and a few other details seem to come through, but articulations (I guess this is all the mod wheel stuff and the note expression changes, for example) don't seem to come through at all, leaving a 'start-from-scratch' file to work with in DP4.6.

I think this has come up in the forums before, but a search didn't connect me with the info, so I thought I'd ask a separate question.

THANKS

Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Re: HP Playback export with Finale Files?

Paul,

It would appear that you have to use MassEdit, Select All, then Apply HP from the plug-ins menu - then your midi file should work as expected.

I would suggest doing a "save-as" something else before you apply HP just in case it affects your master file.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Worked like a charm, thanks Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    Paul,

It would appear that you have to use MassEdit, Select All, then Apply HP from the plug-ins menu - then your midi file should work as expected.

I would suggest doing a "save-as" something else before you apply HP just in case it affects your master file.
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Tom

The first attempt, I did exactly that, then when I got unexpected results, tried the Notation set, but all the carefully placed articulations and tempo changes, keyswitches were gone. SO it appears that Richard nailed it. You get the expected results this way. Also good (and what I actually hoped for) was that the ambience reverb that was applied in Finale did not export as well. I'm pleased because I want to rework the reverb in DP.

Thanks for your note.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    The first few times I did this I forgot that Finale uses the Notation Folder instruments which have different keyswitches, so when I loaded the regular instruments in my sequencer of course none of them worked.

But then... I'm just stupid.

Tom

OOPS

Spoke too soon. Many things transfer over. But I am losing all keyswitches and many controllers. What does happen is that controller 1 becomes controller 7 when I open in the sequencer. But changes from arco to pizz for example are gone. Also, the legato doesn't seem to be there. I tried adding cc 68 and cc64 to see what would happen for certain passages and 64 produced a sostenuto type sustain for violins (interesting but unusable) and 68 was more effective, but of course, I had to make some guesses as to the amount. It would be great to know if Finale could export the keyswitches and controllers exactly as is. Probably can, but so far, even using the plug in you suggested, the results are quite limited.

Thanks, Richard.

Perhaps I'll head over to the MakeMusic Forum and post there as well.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    Paul,

Run the standard midi file (from Finale) through the GPO Midi file translataor program. The translator app should be located in your Garritan Personal Orchestra folder. The translator turns the volume/dynamics info into CC #1, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by amplayer
    Run the standard midi file (from Finale) through the GPO Midi file translataor program. The translator app should be located in your Garritan Personal Orchestra folder. The translator turns the volume/dynamics info into CC #1, etc.
    Thanks. I looked everywhere for the translator,but perhaps it isn't included in the Mac version. Any other places I could look?

Paul

Paul,

A very quick and dirty test seemed to give correct midi file export including controller 1 changes after changing Human Playback Preferences/Activate GPO Support from "Auto Detect" to "Always".

-- Harvey

Quote Originally Posted by pickles7
    Paul,

A very quick and dirty test seemed to give correct midi file export including controller 1 changes after changing Human Playback Preferences/Activate GPO Support from "Auto Detect" to "Always".

-- Harvey
    I too don't see any reason why MIDI export with HP wouldn't produce the exact same MIDI data as when playing back (including KS, Mod, etc). Setting AutoDetect to Always sounds like a safe thing to do.

R.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Piéchaud
    I too don't see any reason why MIDI export with HP wouldn't produce the exact same MIDI data as when playing back (including KS, Mod, etc). Setting AutoDetect to Always sounds like a safe thing to do.

R.
    The reason it doesn't work right is because volume is NOT normally CC #1 in a standard MIDI file. I assume you are trying to put expressions in your notation such as hairpins and dynamics markings. When I have exported a standard MIDI file from Finale, those have NOT been mapped to CC #1, and I would not have expected them to be.
    Nevertheless, I'll try again with 2006b and see if maybe makemusic has changed something for us.

Go Back to forum