• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OK, I need your help!

Share/Bookmark

Question OK, I need your help!

I just received a call concerning one of our songs on our website. Because I do not have the means to post here, I am asking if some of you would go to my site, go to Mark's Music, and listen to "I'll Get By" please.
    The question is, should we have a female sing the song as well?
    Please post your opinions here.
    Thanks in advance.
    Styxx

Red face Re: OK, I need your help!

Hmm, no one wants to help me out here? Awe!
    Styxx

Re: OK, I need your help!

Well, since it's not opposite day I didn't think that nothing didn't work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Hmm, no one wants to help me out here? Awe!
    Sorry Styxx...I can't listen to anything until after the rest of the office leaves for the day. If you still need feedback after about 6:30 CST I'll be happy to give a listen.
    ;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Thumbs up Re: OK, I need your help!

Quote Originally Posted by southportJim
    Sorry Styxx...I can't listen to anything until after the rest of the office leaves for the day. If you still need feedback after about 6:30 CST I'll be happy to give a listen.
    ;-)
    That would be great! I'm so undecided because both vocalist sing well. Sean, I would appreciate any critique.
    Thanks and see you on Chatner, Bill.
    Styxx

Definitely yes!
    Less breathy, 1 octave higher to move the melody a bit out of the arrangement and maybe expand the tonal range in the singing ....
    go for it!
    rené

I think it works as it is, but I could see adding a female voice later in the song, not all the way through.

I can hear a female voice - either the whole way through or in parts. I like it the way it is, but I think the addition of the woman's voice would REALLY add to the song - variety/contrast...

Mark McDowell

Thumbs up Re: OK, I need your help!

Now this is what I am looking for. All very excellent critiques and suggestions from people I consider very musically intelligent!
    Thanks and looking forward to more.
    Styxx

Styxx,

Alright, eevryone's finally out of here so I could listen. A nice song...sounds good as it is, but I think adding a female voice would definitely be a good thing.

With that said, the decision is "how much" female voice. First off, I would NOT replace the existing male vocal, I think it sounds good.

Just for reference, the strucure I heard was:

Verse1
    Chorus1 - truncated
    Verse2
    Chorus2 - full
    Solo
    Verse3
    Chorus3 - full
    Outro

While listening, I was hearing two distinct approaches:

1st Approach) A straight out duet (think Kris Kristoferson and Dolly Parton bellowing at each other...hear me out, it might work!) The male voice sings entire Verse1 and 1stChorus; Female takes Verse2 alone (with changes of something like two words the verse becomes "gender independent" and could become a "conversation" between the two of them), male joins on chorus with "straight harmony" (i.e. matching "note for note" and "word for word"). After the solo, things quiet down and the male voice takes Verse3 and female joins in a "volume-buidling" chorus, but this time following in an imitative style, not "note for note" but free counterpoint...kinda "soaring" around up there and only matching "word for word" at certain points. That's the best I can describe without actually learning the song and writing a part (and if the boss comes back to the office and finds me singing in the server room he's gonna want to know what I've been smoking!).

2nd Approach) Conventional with harmony added on chorus...basically male sung thru-out, but with the female joining on 2nd and 3rd choruses...again, the 2nd chorus in a "note per note" fashion and the 3rd Chorus building up in a more elaborate "imitative" counterpoint. In this case, I don't think you need to adjust any words, since it's obvious that the female voice is adding color.

And of course a nice suspension in the vocals at the end ;-)

Just me own $0.02, but you asked!

;-)
    jim

Edit: of course, the 3rd option is to have female all the way thru and let her sing her own harmonies on the choruses...would just take a minor alteration of words.
    ;-)
    Last edited by southportJim; 12-16-2005 at 09:49 PM. Reason: on second thought...

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Go Back to forum