• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: YellowTools new "Independence" and claims of superior VSL importation

Share/Bookmark

YellowTools new "Independence" and claims of superior VSL importation

Hello all,

I have been researching Yellow Tools new softsampler/vi.
    It has MANY similairities to VSL's new VI including the freekin dongle... hmmm. curious

and recently a yellowtools rep has made a few comments about how "perfectly" it imports VSL and how "superior" its new legato features are to the old vsl perf tool.

So whattayaguys know?

I for one am still looking for a complete softsampler.
    Kontakt has too many issues on a mac and support has been dismal.
    Mach 5 2.0 ??? hello ???????? what happened to it?
    Giga 3 - love it but not the ideal sound creation tool and now with dwindling lib support .... who knows.

So yes I'd give a new format a shot.
    Just what the world needs ... a new softsampler format.

But again, there are a ton of similairities between Independence and the new VSL VI. (new releases, legato features look the same, DONGLE!).

The yellowtools poster (in another forum) made those claims about what could be easily done with the VSL pro edition imported and that got me thinking ......

So who's got the inside scoop. Cough it up!

Re: YellowTools new "Independence" and claims of superior VSL importation

No way I'd pay the up front cost of testing this, but the upgrade price isn't bad. And there's no interest on my end in any of the current Yellowtools products besides, maybe, Culture.

However, I've been following posts on other threads about their current products and it appears their support is just as dismal as anyone else's. Take that as you will. I don't see this being a runnaway hit, particularly because of the dongle and minimal internal format support. As we all know, conversions are never what the spin doctors claim them to be, so I'd be wary of claims of 100% ports.

Just keeping myself on the side of the 'realistic'. I'll reserve my judgements until its been on the market a while.

I would like to emphasize that the Vienna Instruments are a 100% developement of the Vienna Symphonic Library. Christian Teuscher, who created the Performance Tool, now leads the VSL software department, and he and his international team developed Vienna's virtual instruments from the ground up - no other companies are involved.
    Cheers,
    Martin - Vienna Symphonic Library

Well its not the engine of the VSL VI.

Conversions are done by a special version of ChickenSYS.
    That's a big bonus since Garth is great with updates.

Joseph,
    I agree with you completely. I am just desperate to have a solid forward looking softsampler.

I can't imagine that this new format could really gain market share at this point. But I also could not have imagined the mess NI,Motu, and tascam have made of their respective products.

Ed, I will be getting this even though I have both Kontakt 2 and Halion and am very happy with them.
    But the upgrade price from Culture (which I own) is very generous and will be easily worth it to me for the sound library and access to low level editing of the Culture instruments (although its programming is extremely well done and I've only found myself wishing for this on a few occasions). Plus I already have the dongle from Culture anyway.
    I suspect many other Culture users will do the same, but I don't really have any expectations for Independence beyond that.

As far as support, I only needed support for Culture once (pre-dongle authorization issues), and found it to be rather prompt (1 business day).

matto

Matto,

Please let us know how it goes when you get it up and working.
    Oddly I have higher hopes for it.

could just be wishful thinking .....

If they had a competitive crossgrade I'd take the chance.

thanks!

Any more updates on this? I'm interested in Independence as well...

Kontakt has too many issues on a mac
    Such as?

[gratuitous characters so this posts - a really annoying feature of this software!]

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    Such as?
    The biggest one for me:

In Logic, the first note (say if you have a note on 1 1 1 1, and you start the sequencer from 1 1 1 1) does not play.

This is only with Kontakt 2, not 1... It's a known bug, and hasn't been fixed since 2.0 release which was almost a year ago.

For many reasons Independence looks very, very promising.

About dongle - it seems to be the future - many major companies like Steinberg, Apple (emagic), Digidesign, VSL, IK, Korg now uses dongle and rumours already mentions several other major companies joing donle protection too.

For live playing? Hmm - I suggest using a PC/Mac stationary + a pci usb card so dongles are inside computer and protected from theft or damage.

Yellowtools seems to got their act seriously together..
    Thomas Hansen Skarbye
    Singer, Bass Player, Composer
    & Creative Director, SCARBEE

www.scarbee.com & www.myspace.com/scarbee

Go Back to forum