• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Why aren't older libraries reissued???

Share/Bookmark

Why aren't older libraries reissued???

This morning I needed some mellow choir 'ahs' behind some guitars. I also needed a gong.

I ended using 'Symphony of Voices' and 'Giant Gongs'.

These are both older products that sound very good.

I wondering why products like this aren't reissued for Kontakt or other current formats?

People on this forum are typically aware of products like SOV, but what about a new user? I imagine many of them would see the 'Akai format' and move on to something else. The musician would miss out of this fine library and the company loses potential revenue.

I really think there is a market for some of these outstanding older libraries.

Mark

Re: Why aren't older libraries reissued???

Mark,

I think Eric persing just mentioned that SOV is still a top seller so he doesn't really need to reissue especially at a discount (Eric please correct me if I'm misquoting)

I've been asking Roland to do the same regarding all the SRJV-80 expansion cards. I own 4 of them and there is still a ton of great sounds in them. Thankfully Korg has released the Wavestation and the M1 (which I'm getting for Christmas!) Maybe if I keep nagging.

I do think we may see some of these older libs re-released as a lot of hard work was put into them, they still sound great, and the guys that initially recorded them may need a new Ferrari...

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Quote Originally Posted by Briody
    I imagine many of them would see the 'Akai format' and move on to something else. The musician would miss out of this fine library and the company loses potential revenue.
    k
    No they wouldn't.
    The AKAI format has been supported by most softsamplers since the beginning 4-5 years ago, including Kontakt. If the user is too lazy to use the import function or read the manual then that is their loss.
    This is a non-issue.

Here's one of the main reasons:

After getting burned going through the expensive and time-consuming process of porting and re-manufacturing our libraries to formats like Roland, Kurzweil, Ensoniq, Unity and SampleCell....only to see those once very popular formats die due to lack of manufacturer support or market conditions, we realized that the whole sample library format thing is a waste of time and a mess. (You should see our warehouse full of ancient formats!)

Kontakt is a great format and it's recently started to become to de facto format for software samplers...but it wasn't long ago that everyone was saying the same thing about Giga format....so it's a never ending thing.

Also, existing users always want to trade in their old formats and get the new ones for free or aren't willing to pay very much for the service. When you factor in the difficulty of certifying if people are legit users or not from older non-protected formats, it gets to be a royal nightmare and administrative mess.

So instead of remaking the same product over and over and over again in different formats, we decided to work closely with all the sampler manufacturers to make sure our Akai/Roland CD-ROM titles import flawlessly. So we have worked closely with all them and the results have been great. People can then use the existing formats and have a very good end result which is reasonably close to a native format experience.

This is one of the biggest reasons that we stopped developing sample libraries. We much prefer developing for our own virtual instruments instead, because we can keep the platform going ourselves and offer more features and an ongoing evolution of a product. Better service, sounds, innovation, support, pricing, etc.

So please enjoy our older titles by converting them...they are still great sounds and work great with the newest samplers too! :-)

spectrum

How about a Best of Spectrasonics product in virtual instrument format? Using something like Atmosphere engine or another/newer Spectrasonics engine [if you guys are working on one].

The one big red flag with old sample formats that I see is that things don't take advantage of new features - especially large functionality leaps like Kontakt2 has. I appreciate developers that take advantage of new features and like to see platforms i've chosen to go with supported nicely. Sometimes a library wouldn't need that but its definitely one thing i'd consider in deciding between two similar libraries.

steve

Roland has there Fantom series now they don't need to do anything with all the old Cards for Say XP series etc.
    Man anything I swear Spectrasonics put's out is just amazing!!!
    Top of the Top interms of quality and sound!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

I kind of expected an answer like Eric's. Try to imagine the outcry if Gary Garritan, say, announced they were putting time into a K2 version of GOS and it was going to delay the release of the new goodies they are working on. It just wouldn't make sense. That's a good example anyway- what would have been a major update to GOS will now exsist as a major update to GPO, so you are getting a port to the new format. One has to assume that any useful improvements in a lib will somehow allear in a newer lib.

Anyway, I totally echo the notion that just because something is old, it's not bad. I still use a Mirage! You just have to be willing to use older libs in their older formats.
    Last edited by FredProgGH; 12-16-2005 at 10:36 PM. Reason: mis-worded

Great response Eric. Thanks for your never-ending dedication to top notch quality and service. Kudos!
    Jim Casella
    Tapspace

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    I still use a Mirage!
    Post of the month.

Go Back to forum