• Register
  • Help

Topic: Has the Corrupt Database bug been solved yet?

Share/Bookmark

Has the Corrupt Database bug been solved yet?

I just downloaded the Post's Hybrid Piano demo and Worra's X-mas gift onto my harddrive and now GS3 tells me my database is corrupted and that I need to rebuild it. Then it asks it again. I can't see any samples. Is there already a remedy for this? Thanks.

Alex

Re: Has the Corrupt Database bug been solved yet?

I posted this in reply to another question...perhaps it will point you in the right direction.
    There seems to be an issue with the database involving files other than Giga 3 format in large libraries. I've run into it on some 5-600GB+ libraries and had to retreat to r3.04 for stability. You'll notice folders with no files, or complete libraries just missing from the list. I am refering specifically to libraries with a mix of old Giga 1 or 2 files and the new 24 bit libraries. Oddly enough, it doesn't always show up immediately...sometimes it's several database builds down the road, but once it starts, translating the files is the only fix. HopefullyTascam will get this straightened out sooner rather than later as the translator contained in the Giga program is rather cumbersome for translating large groups of files. You have to build the database until it craps out, translate whatever it retains and then start again. It's a drag because the new 24 bit libraries have all their bells and whistles invested in GS3.1 and beyond. There's no problem that I've run into (so far) with machines that only have Giga 3 files in their databases. My issue is that none of my customers want to pay me to sit around for 6-8 hours to straighten out the problem...even if I could get excited about such a mind numbing exercise. Chicken Sys might be the answer...I haven't had a chance to try it yet... I've been waiting for Garth to get back to me with some sort of bulk translator :~)Cheers, jc

Quote Originally Posted by yankeezulu
    There seems to be an issue with the database involving files other than Giga 3 format in large libraries. I am refering specifically to libraries with a mix of old Giga 1 or 2 files and the new 24 bit libraries. Oddly enough, it doesn't always show up immediately...sometimes it's several database builds down the road, but once it starts, translating the files is the only fix.

Does that mean I have to completely reinstall GS3? This is the strangest bug ever. All I did was install two new giga 3 files.

I got this message 3rd hand from Tascam...it may help. I'm assuming you're talking about GS3.1 or above and mixing Giga 3 files with an existing library that hasn't be translated to Giga 3 yet.

>Here are the steps to narrow down the problem file when
    >rebuilding QS.
    >
    >Go to the Configuration Manager on the Windows Start Menu.
    >Select the 'Troubleshoot' tab
    >Select the 'Enable Logging' under the 'QuickSound Database Options'
    >
    >Now restart the GigaStudio application, Rebuild the entire dbase.
    >As QuickSound is building it will log the information to file
    >on the harddrive, named qsound.log. It will be located whereever
    >you installed the application /db. For example, on my system it was
    >located
    >C:\Program Files\Tascam\Gstudio\db
    >
    >This file should help locate the problem file.

(I would try moving it/them to another drive that's not used in the db and see if the QS can rebuild)

Now the interesting thing about this is that the "problem files" weren't a problem until the 3.1 upgrade. Perhaps translating or deleting these misfits will take care of the problem. cheers, jc

Hallelujah! I did the above instructions, selected 'Enable Logging', peeped at the log list, removed Scarbee Halion 'release samples' out of the folder and onto the desktop, restarted computer, fired up GS, rebuilded quicksound database and YES, my instruments are back!

I'm not sure what it was exactly that did it (my db log list was pretty long and I only moved the Halion release samples) but it worked.

Thanks for your help, yankeezulu. I will never forget you .

Alex

Smile This Should Be A Sticky:It works

Quote Originally Posted by yankeezulu
    I got this message 3rd hand from Tascam...it may help. I'm assuming you're talking about GS3.1 or above and mixing Giga 3 files with an existing library that hasn't be translated to Giga 3 yet.

>Here are the steps to narrow down the problem file when
    >rebuilding QS.
    >
    >Go to the Configuration Manager on the Windows Start Menu.
    >Select the 'Troubleshoot' tab
    >Select the 'Enable Logging' under the 'QuickSound Database Options'
    >
    >Now restart the GigaStudio application, Rebuild the entire dbase.
    >As QuickSound is building it will log the information to file
    >on the harddrive, named qsound.log. It will be located whereever
    >you installed the application /db. For example, on my system it was
    >located
    >C:\Program Files\Tascam\Gstudio\db
    >
    >This file should help locate the problem file.

(I would try moving it/them to another drive that's not used in the db and see if the QS can rebuild)

Now the interesting thing about this is that the "problem files" weren't a problem until the 3.1 upgrade. Perhaps translating or deleting these misfits will take care of the problem. cheers, jc

This should be a Sticky. Great info yankeezulu;I'm back on track, after 6 hours of trying EVERYTHING else.Many thanks

Thumbs up Re: Has the Corrupt Database bug been solved yet?

Da Nada! jc

Go Back to forum