• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Anyone used GrooveMonkee?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone used GrooveMonkee?

I'm looking for a quick fix to solve my inability to lay down decent drum patterns quickly (sell out I know, but for a quick mock up....)

Has anyone used these Jazz Midi drum files available form GrooveMonkee?

http://www.groovemonkee.com/home.php?c=detail&id=3

My intention woudl be to use them with one of the JABB GM kits for a quick mock-up and then edit the drum track in Sonar as I develop a chart to it's finished version.

Cheers,
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: Anyone used GrooveMonkee?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    I'm looking for a quick fix to solve my inability to lay down decent drum patterns quickly (sell out I know, but for a quick mock up....)

Has anyone used these Jazz Midi drum files available form GrooveMonkee?

http://www.groovemonkee.com/home.php?c=detail&id=3

My intention woudl be to use them with one of the JABB GM kits for a quick mock-up and then edit the drum track in Sonar as I develop a chart to it's finished version.

Cheers,
    I checked out some of the demo downloads, and I have grave doubts if an infinite number of Groove Monkee's would get you anything very listenable.
    regards

Thanks Joaz,

I didn't spot the free downloads before. But I have now and I see what you mean.

I didn't realise that they used real monkeys to create these files.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to carry on to doing it properly and get my own midi drum chops up to standard!

Cheers,
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Yeah, I know Richard. Programming convincing Jazz drums, is a royal PITA, but as yet I don't see any alternatives.
    On the upside, if you put in the details, JABB drums sound superb.
    regards

I like some of their rock drum stuff, but was disappointed with the jazz files.

You know what I find really really helpful for doing jazz stuff...which comes up for me quite often?....Groove Agent. It's pretty great in it's way, particularly for this sort of thing.

Funny. I hopped over here thinking of starting a thread to ask: "Has anyone been using GrooveMonkee?"

I agree that the JABB drums/percussion sounds are superb (maybe the strongest part of the library,) but won't do me much good unless I learn how to play them. I, too, downloaded some of the free GrooveMonkee tracks, and have been playing around with the JABB kits and Sonar's Session Drummer, etc.

While I'm not overwhelmed either, it's no doubt unreasonable to expect to be able to download Buddy Rich or Ginger Baker for $40, and I'm inclined to think- for those of us non drummers- that GrooveMonkee might be worth a shot. If nothing else, the midi patterns could provide a learning tool and a basic point of departure for creating one's own tracks.

I've burned through my software budget until after Christmas, as I got both JABB and Guitar Rig 1 (on sale for $175,) but my next venture is going to focus on how to solve the drum problem. I'm certain that with the JABB kits and midi it can be done. Maybe some folks wise in the ways of percussion can chime in, and suggest an approach.

Michael

To me, BIAB is kind of hit and miss as far as when the drum track will sound really convincing or sound really static and unreal, but I think they hit more than miss and there's a lot you can do to tweak the existing styles to your needs. And here's the thing, when a BIAB style does have a static sounding drum part, at least it's in time and is a decent starting point, whereas trying to program or play drum parts in yourself isn't likely to be as easy or as solid in terms of the timing. If a BIAB drum track is too mechanical, then I usually randomize or slightly offset some elements of the timing and dynamics, which helps a lot. And no doubt that it's a terrific program to have, regardless.

Another thing to look into is Drumtrax, which offers MIDI drum loops recorded from actual performances. I haven't really done more than some basic messing around with it, but it seems pretty decent and is only like $25 or so. They have a special version meant for Sonar, too.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    When I've had to learn how to program an instrument I didn't play, I've gone out and gotten a book written for learning the instrument itself.
    ... you have to realize the rhythm section pretty well to make the rest of it sound good.
    Tom,

Good advice, and you're dead right that the rhythm section is the make or break section (having played in real bands on both sides of the rhythm section I know this it true).

Whilst I am by no means at all accomplished on drums, I did play drums for a small jazz combo for a couple of years - so I have a rudimentary working knowledge of the instrument. I was just looking for a quick fix. However, thinking about it, it would only take a weekend to create my own basic library of standard rhythms and fills that I could use as a basis for my sketches before fleshing them out and personalising them for each proper mock up.
    Richard N.

Try Jamstix at www.rayzoon.com. It's kinda an intelligent AI drummer that can jam with you via audio or midi, or play based on certain styles you indicate, or be just another drum module. Be sure to buy the jazz add-on pack to get swing grooves and a brush kit as well.

It's highly affordable, and absolutely incredible!

Go Back to forum