• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3 and eMachines...

Share/Bookmark

GS3 and eMachines...

I had an instructor who has a studio set up consisting of Digital Performer on a Mac running midi to a few GS machines, which happened to be the inexpensive eMachines. He does music for a living and teaches on the side, but I was wondering if anyone else uses eMachines here. I know I'll need to add a HDD, and I've been putting this off for the longest time, so I thought this would be a cheap solution to get something going. I have GS3 Ensemble, so I won't be using GP, and not require a lot of power. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Re: GS3 and eMachines...

I have used many different eMachines boxes with Giga 2.x, and had zero problems with Giga itself.

My issue with eMachines is that sometimes a box will just die soon after you buy it. What I do is buy from a local computer superstore, so that I can return/exchange it quickly and easily. Some of them are definitely lemons. But, the ones that don't crap out run faithfully for years.

In fact, I still have one of them (a PIII 600 MHz) as a backup GS2 box! I've also probably bought around seven eMachines since the 90s, so I feel well qualified to answer your post. They aren't my main computers, but still they have served me well in all sorts of situations.

Like most computers that do survive and join the stable, the component most likely to die out first is the power supply. The eMachines power supplies are pretty small/weak, but fortunately you can buy replacements pretty easily. I think you can expect at least 2-3 years of solid performance before you run into any problems in that vein.

My recommendation is that you go ahead and buy an eMachines box, and feel good about it. When you get it home, "burn it in" for at least 2-3 weeks by running it constantly -- day and night. Do not turn it off, unless you need/want to do a cold reboot. That way, any bad components are likely to fail and you'll know within the store's return period if you picked up a bad one.

As far as GS3 is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Current generation computers, including eMachines, are able to run Giga. I think your choice of soundcard is a lot more important. You should also be sure to configure WinXP on your Giga box to Tascam's recommendations (which are listed here.)

Finally, if possible you shouldn't put Giga and your DAW on the same machine (regardless of brand, IMO). Run them on separate machines and I think you'll have a very positive experience.

Good luck!
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Thanks Andrew, just what I wanted to hear. I never would've thought about burning it in before the return policy expires. Thanks. I do want to run GS3 on it's own machine, maybe 2 or 3 of them to avoid any overload issues. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all you need after that is a second hard drive, a sound card and another license something-or-other from Tascam to run GS3 on the 2nd (and 3rd) computer, right? Thanks again.

Generally, you're correct. All you need is a GSIF-compatible sound card and a dedicated hard drive for samples. You can also get away with storing samples on your system drive.

I'm not sure what the license key rule is on running multiple machines. Check with Tascam customer support.

There is also a really cool program called the Giga VST Adapter that will let you run GS as a VSTi over your LAN. Gig-Ethernet recommended over 10/100. Also, with this program you don't need any sound card on the clone machine(s). A pretty neat idea, though I haven't tried it myself and am not sure what the latency is really like in practice. Link:

http://www.fx-max.com/gva/

Hope this helps!
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Go Back to forum