• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dual Core Again ....

Share/Bookmark

Dual Core Again ....

OK guy's, I'm ready to go with a NEW computer ,and I would like to hear from you if you have Dual Core machine that is running smoothly !!...I just wanted to check one last time .....List your ingredients , and have a great holiday season .... Sincerely Jim

Re: Dual Core Again ....

Jim,
    here are the specs of my current DAW:
    Case+motherboard: Shuttle SN25P (a barebone system)
    CPU: AMD X2 4200+
    RAM: 2 Gb
    HD1: HITACHI 7K80 SATA II 80Gb
    HD2: SAMSUNG HD160JJ SATAII 160Gb (audio data)
    HD3: HITACHI T7K250 SATAII 250Gb (samples)
    VIDEO CARD: ABIT X300SE
    AUDIO CARD: PRESONUS FIREBOX

O.S: Windows Xp Home ED
    Sequencer: Cubase SX3

I'm completely satisfied. I choose the barebone system because I can easily move the Pc from home to studio (shuttle supplies an optional bag which is very nice, and I bought it too).
    In Cubase there's a switch where you can put on/off the multiprocessor support for the program. Needless to say that with the dual core enabled the performance is really impressive, quite double the power of a single istance of the same processor.

gabri

I am skeptical of the usefulness of dual core processors for audio applications. Dual cores basically allow for the processing of multiple "threads" at the same time; just like having two processors running simultaneously. Hyperthreading, in comparison, works the same way, except it creates a VIRTUAL processor. The end result is the same.

Now, I know for a fact that NI's samplers don't behave well with hyperthreading - this is because, as far as I'm aware, they don't work well with multiple-thread processing. If this is the case, then dual core processors or even dual processors will not function properly either.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Aversa
    I am skeptical of the usefulness of dual core processors for audio applications. Dual cores basically allow for the processing of multiple "threads" at the same time; just like having two processors running simultaneously. Hyperthreading, in comparison, works the same way, except it creates a VIRTUAL processor. The end result is the same.
    This is incorrect, a dual core machine is very nearly the same as having 2 physical processors. Hyper-threading, while somewhat beneficial in a multi-threaded application (like most hosts) will NOT see the same performance gains as a dual core or dual processor system.

Now, I know for a fact that NI's samplers don't behave well with hyperthreading - this is because, as far as I'm aware, they don't work well with multiple-thread processing. If this is the case, then dual core processors or even dual processors will not function properly either.
    I've not had any issues running Kontakt 1 and 2 on a hyper-threading machine in Cubase with multi-proc support enabled. I'm not sure where you go this information. Early on, it wasn't uncommon to have threading issues, but most of these have been addressed. That said, its certainly possible that NI has threading issues and I haven't experienced them, while you have. Even so, Kontakt isn't the only application running usually. Most applications, even if Kontakt will not, can take advantage of more than one processor. In fact, since VST's run inside the host process, its the host's responsibility for spawning most of the actual threads I believe.

fizbin

This is incorrect, a dual core machine is very nearly the same as having 2 physical processors. Hyper-threading, while somewhat beneficial in a multi-threaded application (like most hosts) will NOT see the same performance gains as a dual core or dual processor system.
    I did not mean to imply that the performance gain was the same, sorry. I was saying that the principle behind them (performance gains by processing multiple threads) was the same.

I've not had any issues running Kontakt 1 and 2 on a hyper-threading machine in Cubase with multi-proc support enabled. I'm not sure where you go this information.
    I was told directly by NI support not to use hyperthreading on more than one occasion. I believe they also state it in their manuals. If that's not an accurate source of information, I don't know what is.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Aversa
    I was told directly by NI support not to use hyperthreading on more than one occasion. I believe they also state it in their manuals. If that's not an accurate source of information, I don't know what is.
    Did disabling hyper-threading cure the problem? What is/was your host and host version?

fizbin

I know there were some Hyperthreading issues with Giga3 also in the early stages, but I think they have since been remidied ...

I guess too, I am questioning Dual Core....I am questioning as a result of my buying in on the Dual Proccessor Mac when they first came out ....It was AGES before there was any programs that made any use of it, and they weren't even audio or sequencer programs !! ....By the time they did, my machine was a slow machine already !!.... It was a dual processor 500 at the time !!..... Are there REAL performance gains from the Dual Core machines, and who has seen them, and on what programs ? ....Thanks again .... IF there's no really justifyable gain , I will stay with a single processor , with less to go wrong ....Thanks, Jim

Go Back to forum