• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pictures Of The $100 Laptop

Share/Bookmark

Pictures Of The $100 Laptop

Taiwan's Quanta, the world's largest maker of notebook computers, will manufacture the $100 laptop developed by Nicholas Negroponte, the chairman of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Media Lab.

We could all be using Linux someday. They may be the Linux equivalent of the holy bible. Plentiful and cheap.

Here's some pictures of it

http://laptop.media.mit.edu/laptop-images.html

Re: Pictures Of The $100 Laptop

Cool! I like the yellow windup handle. This may bring linux into the mainstream.

I don't think it will run Cubase.

Can someone post a pic of it? Can't connect for some reason. Thanks, or tanks.
    Styxx

Is that a crank handle on the side? When it starts, does it go "putt-putt-putt-putt-putt"? Is there a button somewhere that you press and it goes "Ah-woooo-gah"?

Seriously, it looks cute and useful.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

The crank handle charges the battery--for use in places without electricity. That's its most unique feature.

Is that a Fisher-Price logo, or am I just seeing thing? Would be perfect for running Windows XP.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Williams
    The crank handle charges the battery--for use in places without electricity. That's its most unique feature.
    Kinda like a hurdy-gurdy. Wind it up, and let the monkey dance to GPO!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Williams
    Somebody was really thinking with this one - that is the perfect example of a totally inelegant (it really does look like a Fisher-Price rig) solution that just solves so many problems - no electricy, no sources of batteries, and no money to buy 'em with, even- just charge 'em up and keep on 'puting! This could be the intellectual revolution for the third world.

Not a snowball's chance any totalitarian government will let those into the hands of the children - the kids will be smarter and more knowledgable than the 'leaders,' and then whacha gonna do, Mr. Jones/Mugabe/insert your least favorite U.S. tool here? So it's up to some philanthropic organization to front the bucks and convince the involved governments (with further green grease) to allow them to distribute the machines to the children personally (it will probably have to be done by international volunteers like Red Cross, Red Crescent - is there a 'Geeks Without Borders', or the govt troops will just have a lot of black-market toys to resell.

But it is an absolutely brilliant concept, and the players are no slouches either - Alan Kay and Seymour Papert are legends in that community, their names carry a lot of weight in some circles. I would really like to see this come to fruition.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Here's a picture of the $100 laptop as requested.

Go Back to forum