• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale GPO-Human Playback Tutorial now available

Share/Bookmark

Finale GPO-Human Playback Tutorial now available

For all Finale 2006 users:

The Finale 2006b Maintenance Update has been released -- it includes many important bugfixes and is available here.

Once you've run the Finale 2006b updater, though, you may want to take a look at the new document that appears inside your "User Manual" folder -- called "GPOHP Tutorial Supplement.pdf". It's an in-depth tutorial explaining how to get the best results from Finale 2006, GPO (or GPO Finale Edition) and Human Playback, including a step-by-step guide for converting older scores, a list of keyswitch-triggering expressions interpreted by Human Playback, instructions for configuring percussion notation and playback, and much more.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Re: Finale GPO-Human Playback Tutorial now available

Thanks for the info!

Peace

rp

Thanks for the info Thad. Have downloaded and installed the 2006b update.

I'm still getting the error message 'Garritan Ambience for Reverb Missing'. I've tried copying the dll file into the Finale folder.

Should this be working now and if so what should I do?

Thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Thanks Thad,

This tutorial is a masterpeice and a wealth of information. I urge all GPO Finle users to download the tutorial.

The tutorial is also on our site. Here is the link:

http://www.garritan.com/support/GPOH...Supplement.pdf

Gary Garritan

From the Finale site: http://www.finalemusic.com/finale/update.aspx

Finale 2006b Maintenance Update
    Finale 2006b is a free, downloadable update available to registered Finale 2006 users. It includes:
    • EPS Export. EPS graphics can now be exported using any Finale-compatible operating system.
    • Check for Finale Updates Automatically with the new option Check for Finale Updates under
      the Help Menu.
    • Expanded Documentation. Learn how to get the most out of Garritan Personal Orchestra and Human Playback with the new GPO And HP Finale Installation And Tutorials Supplement.
    • Dozens of additional improvements. Click here for more information on what’s new
      in Finale 2006b.
    Finale 2006b also includes all the improvements found in Finale 2006a, including:
    • Real-time save as audio support for Finale’s integrated Garritan Personal Orchestra sounds and other supported VST/AU instruments (.WAV and .AIFF file formats).
    • The ability to copy measure-attached Smart Shapes (including hairpins) via the clipboard.
    • Additional improvements to playback, the graphics tool and more.
    Click below to login to your account and download the update:

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    Thanks for the info Thad. Have downloaded and installed the 2006b update.

I'm still getting the error message 'Garritan Ambience for Reverb Missing'. I've tried copying the dll file into the Finale folder.

Should this be working now and if so what should I do?

Thanks.
    Hey Michael,

Ambience Reverb for Windows is definitely fixed and working in Fin2006b. (It worked in previous versions as well, you just couldn't access the presets.)

Do you have the full version of GPO? If so, I would try reinstalling Ambience from CD4. If not, write to <winsupport@makemusic.com> -- they should be able to help you figure it out on your system.

Thad's manual is a great one, an unvaluable resource for GPO+Finale+HP users. (Gary, don't forget to add it to the web pages explicetely!)
    Thanks so much for this, Thad!

By the way, let me mention below HP improvements that were not specified in Fin2006b release notes and that should interest GPO users (all these improvments are in sync with Thad's document). Enjoy!

Best,
    R.

- GPO: Pizzicato passages were dynamic-inconsistent, unless there was a hairpin around.
    - GPO: a > hairpin on a timpani roll, in pp dynamic, could have a reverse effect (<).
    - GPO: low dymanic pizz have been lift up (at pp, pizz were completely unrealistic, barely hearable)
    - GPO: relative default volume level for Timpani and non pitched perc instruments has been turned up.
    - GPO: velocity curve for timpani and non-pitched perc has been fine tuned. The problem was that certain stroke in pp range were barely hearable (for instance a pp Bass Drum stroke).
    - GPO: even better expressive ending notes for strings and winds (in p-pp context). Some unconsistencies have been fixed.
    - GPO: Some harp harmonic-related issues have been fixed.
    - GPO: even better attack for starting and expressive ending notes for strings and winds.
    - HP even more stable and more optimized (significantly faster process)
    - Better look and feel with progress bar fadding in and out.
    - Some expressions were missing: sfzp, sfzpp.
    - fp did not work on timpani rolls (or tremolos in general on percussive instruments.)
    - fp, sfz, fpp (...) now hooked as meas. expressions.
    - Two (or more) fermatas within a measure were not understood well by HP.
    - "acc" leading to a fermata were not caught by HP.
    - Smartshape-based rall or acc leading to a fermata now work correctly.
    - When starting with mid-score, some techniques changes were not chased (pizz, ...)
    - Multiple rit or acc (without a tempo in between) sometimes did not work as expected.
    - Harp gliss: in an example, with two gliss in C major, one starting from D natural to D natural up, followed by another from Db to Db up, the second gliss started with a D natural. A D flat should be heard.
    - The length of the last note of a slur has been fine tuned
    - HP style Funk had weak Rhythmic Accent value of 25%. Fixed to 75% (Rock is 90%)
    - Falls were out of tune, more than reasonably...
    - Very long acc or rall could be inaccurate.
    - HP could take a “violoncello” for a “violon”, as weel as a “harpsichord” for a “harp”...
    - Some dictionary items were missing: “mute out”, “mute off”, “straight mute”, “st. mute”, “alzato”, “stopped”
    - Harmonics and Strum Chords HP opts were surprisingly absent from the 21th century style.
    - AHP: expressions created by the plug-in tended to accumulate after multiple pass.

Smile Re: Finale GPO-Human Playback Tutorial now available

Thanks Thad .. all is working superbly. Congratulations on your manual. I agree with Gary and Robert, it's excellent

Finale is just going from strength to strengh. It is sooooo good.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum