• Register
  • Help

Topic: how to go about using 2 daw's?

Share/Bookmark

how to go about using 2 daw's?

i'm currently entertaining the idea of stocking up on my trusty old daw (athlon xp2600, 1gig ram, and no matter how often i upgrade - not enough HDD-space). now the idea ocurred to me that it could be a good idea to slave two machines together and sync them, like i know many of you guys here have been doing.

question is: i have absolutely no idea how to manage that. what do i need? is it sufficient to just hook the two machines up via lan, and if so how do i synchronize the whole shebang?

any hints would be welcome. just assume (if you couldn't tell by now...) that i'm not exactly well-versed in the realms of computerhardware and how to go about things. software is another thing, though :-)

Re: how to go about using 2 daw's?

Quote Originally Posted by bluepowder
    question is: i have absolutely no idea how to manage that. what do i need? is it sufficient to just hook the two machines up via lan, and if so how do i synchronize the whole shebang?

any hints would be welcome. just assume (if you couldn't tell by now...) that i'm not exactly well-versed in the realms of computerhardware and how to go about things. software is another thing, though :-)
    What do you want to use the old PC for? If it is to run samples and FX then you should consider using FX-Teleport.

D

umh... this just goes to show how little idea i have about what can be done and what can't. see... i have no idea. generally speaking, i'd just like to combine the powers of two machines, run the bigger libs like ewso gold and stormdrum (in the furture: ra) from one machine and the "lesser" ones from another, probably my olde trusty one. i'd just like to know what's the best way to realize this without any trouble?

edit: i just checked out that little fx-teleport thingy and that seems to be just what i was looking for. thanks for the headup! everybody is still more than welcome to share their thoughts and experiences on this subject though :-)

edit: i just checked out that little fx-teleport thingy and that seems to be just what i was looking for. thanks for the headup! everybody is still more than welcome to share their thoughts and experiences on this subject though :-)
    Glad to be of help. FWIW I run 3 "slave" computers via FX-Teleport and Giga VST adapter and I've only had problems with using GigaPulse. If you are using Kompakt or K2 then this should not be an issue and you might find that this networking arrangment suits you.

D

everybody is still more than welcome to share their thoughts and experiences on this subject though :-)
    you might also want to take a look at this

http://www.musiclab.com/products/rpl_info.htm

proved to be rock-solid solution.

There are as many ways to slice it as there are system configurations.

There's hooking up one machine to another through audio connections and MIDI cables - one as synth and one as recording deck. There's setting up the MIDI as a virtual connection (see MIDI-over-LAN) and then routing the audio cable to play back on one and record to another. There's setting up all connections across the network via FX-Teleport. Then there are things like VST System link that allow either MIDI connections, or tranport connections, or both - across a digital audio connection.

I use VST System Link between two computers and keeps everything in very tight sync and maintains delay compensation on all systems (no less than sample-accurate). But I'm also set up to use hard-wired MIDI and audio connections in case the VST System Link goes haywire - fortunately, that's never happened on almost two years. (knocking on wood now). With gigabit networking speed you should be able to get an FX-Teleported setup to work as well as VST System Link.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum