• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Cold Calm

Share/Bookmark

The Cold Calm

I haven't been on the forum in a bit, it feels like someone rearranged my furniture while i was out of my house. I'm looking at a lot of time to catch up with all the music i missed here.

So anyway - i decided to write a sequel to my Nordic-flavored Reflection at Night

This, i guess, would be the morning after - bright sun, cold air, and a blanket of snow...perfect for a hot cup of coffee...

The Cold Calm

Re: The Cold Calm

This is a very "calming" piece as you stated in the message title, but I hear a hint of starkness and reality just behind the veil of shimmering music. You are right it is a Cold, Very Cold calm and quite interesting. Thanks for letting us hear this piece.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Josh:

Very well done and very descriptive. I loved the pulse of the background instruments providing a canvas-like grid for your solo ensembles.

You continue to be an outstanding proponent of GPO. Your orchestrations are so well constructed and the resulting sound is so clear.

Thanks again for a beautiful piece of music.

Jack Cannon
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichR
    This is a very "calming" piece as you stated in the message title, but I hear a hint of starkness and reality just behind the veil of shimmering music. You are right it is a Cold, Very Cold calm and quite interesting. Thanks for letting us hear this piece.
    Rich - i believe you are very correct in detecting "a hint of starkness and reality"...i guess i can never be truly optimistic

thanks so much for listening - hope you didn't get too cold

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Josh:

Very well done and very descriptive. I loved the pulse of the background instruments providing a canvas-like grid for your solo ensembles.

You continue to be an outstanding proponent of GPO. Your orchestrations are so well constructed and the resulting sound is so clear.

Thanks again for a beautiful piece of music.

Jack Cannon
    Jack - you always give such awesome and encouraging comments...i really do appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment...thanks

Josh

[Good to see you back, Josh! Been busy myself and away from the forum, with much catching up to do. In any event... I'm in the middle of just the right atmosphere for this -- a gorgeous ice storm, with that glass-like coating glistening and shimmering on every tree across the mountainside.]

Josh, this is superb! I've listened through the piece a good half dozen times.

Beautifully composed, and there's a richness to it I don't think I've heard before in your writing and orchestration; almost lush in places... and the ingenuity of it, as well as the skill and finesse of the conducting, is top flight.

Curiously, I didn't find this "cold". There's a warmth and energy to it that belies its title; a propulsive and invigorating heartbeat that pervades the piece, carrying the quicker sections along -- and the slower segments render more expectancy than chill, to me.

Given that, the sole thought with which I would leave you for revision on this wonderful piece is that perhaps you might reconsider the title! If I had to encapsulate my sense of this piece briefly, the impression I most strongly felt (perhaps due to current weather [see above]) is one of hopeful anticipation of spring...

I'd very much enjoy seeing the score to this sometime, Josh, if it's available.

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David - an ice storm, and trees, and mountains...that definitely sounds like my kind of atmosphere...and it also sounds very quiet...i think it's my goal in life to have quiet - but i just can't seem to find it, either in houston, or in philly...

once again, you've succeded in writing a very favorable review, worthy for any newspaper or liner notes...for others reading this: i swear i don't pay him (yet) - - as far as the orchestration goes, i wanted a chamber setting: one of each wind (plus whistle), 2 horns, percussion (includ. handbells), harp, and strings - keeping with my own restrictions, it was kind of tricky getting certain sections to sound as "lush" as i wanted - but i'm happy with the result...

as for the title...i suppose i don't give enough thought to my titles...how bout i add a subtitle: The Cold Calm (In Anticipation of Spring While Watching an Ice-Storm Coating Every Tree Across the Mountain Side)
    and your request for a score reminds me that you requested to see another score of mine a while ago...i'll definitely have to clean them up and send them to you (they look ghastly at the moment) - but i'm away from my computer for a few weeks, so possibly by mid-january

thanks again david for listening and posting your always enlightening comments!!

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    David - an ice storm, and trees, and mountains...that definitely sounds like my kind of atmosphere...and it also sounds very quiet...i think it's my goal in life to have quiet - but i just can't seem to find it, either in houston, or in philly...

once again, you've succeded in writing a very favorable review, worthy for any newspaper or liner notes...for others reading this: i swear i don't pay him (yet) - - as far as the orchestration goes, i wanted a chamber setting: one of each wind (plus whistle), 2 horns, percussion (includ. handbells), harp, and strings - keeping with my own restrictions, it was kind of tricky getting certain sections to sound as "lush" as i wanted - but i'm happy with the result...

as for the title...i suppose i don't give enough thought to my titles...how bout i add a subtitle: The Cold Calm (In Anticipation of Spring While Watching an Ice-Storm Coating Every Tree Across the Mountain Side)
    and your request for a score reminds me that you requested to see another score of mine a while ago...i'll definitely have to clean them up and send them to you (they look ghastly at the moment) - but i'm away from my computer for a few weeks, so possibly by mid-january

thanks again david for listening and posting your always enlightening comments!!

Josh
    By gosh, I can't put my finger on just why, but I do like the sound of that subtitle... lol.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thumbs up Re: The Cold Calm

I like the way people is able of creating images in his mind, then writing music for the images, as the soundtrack for a movie...the magic is that we are receiving a feeling of being able of watching the same images hearing the music...nice.

Chilling and yet Lush, that is quite a mix.It has at times a Mahlerian feeling.
    I hasten to add it doesnt sound anything like Mahler, but in places it sounds like Nature itself dictated the music, and your job was to take down the dictation.The energy of this music has an immediacy about it, which distracts the ear away from the compositional processes at work underneath the hood.
    I remember seeing some dawns in the Alps, when the world seemed to be reborn, and myths of Apollo seemed close.That is my feeling here. A sunlit vale of becoming.
    Brilliant Work.It is no mean feat to have convincingly portrayed the darker side of life in your earlier pieces, and have the equilibrium, to faithfully render the light like you do here.
    My hearty congratulations.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast