• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Computers on gigs

Share/Bookmark

Question Computers on gigs

With all the things you can do on a computer these days, is seems like it would be a great resource. However, given how flaky they can be, I shudder at the thought of trusting them on a gig.

Any of you actually using computers in performances?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: Computers on gigs

The most stable and dependable computer I used at a gig was a Commodore 64 back in the 80's. Amazing considering I wrote the software.

You know - I've been DJ'ing weddings, etc for 22 years now (I know - but I'm a musician too and needed to earn bucks!). Last year I switched over to all computer and LOVE it. I know, Chris, this is not exaclty what you're asking, but the software, USB, and audio connections have been perfect and COMPLETELY TROUBLE free! It's made my life easier and no longer have to carry my dozen or so boxes of music.

Regards,

Tim

Sort of... I use an MP3 player on my Pocket PC to cue backing tracks for gigs. Works great.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Quote Originally Posted by tcohen
    You know - I've been DJ'ing weddings, etc for 22 years now (I know - but I'm a musician too and needed to earn bucks!). Last year I switched over to all computer and LOVE it. I know, Chris, this is not exaclty what you're asking, but the software, USB, and audio connections have been perfect and COMPLETELY TROUBLE free! It's made my life easier and no longer have to carry my dozen or so boxes of music.

Regards,

Tim
    Actually that's exactly the kind of thing I was asking - it's encouraging to know that they're working well in the Real World!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I'm not playing bars much these days, but I am going to be booking a lot of keynote speaking gigs around the country this next year, as well as teaching workshops, etc.

My plan is to bring my laptop and record the presentations (and audience) via Sonar. So, I was just curious if people were having good experiences hauling gear out on the road, booting up, and not seeing interesting shades of the color blue instead of a Windows desktop...
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Thumbs up Re: Computers on gigs

Hasn't U2 been using computers with extra musicians under their stage for years now?
    Most I've used was a lap top for a couple of musicals. However, I did have a back up CD unit just in case. I can happily say we never had a problem and I loved using the lap top.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Most I've used was a lap top for a couple of musicals. However, I did have a back up CD unit just in case. I can happily say we never had a problem and I loved using the lap top.
    Would you give the specifics of your setup (what laptop, processor, drive(s) interface?) I need a laptop for streaming live. Does one need to have a sequencing program for ease of use? I use Digital Performer so maybe that and GS3 or something?

Talking Re: Computers on gigs

I have had great sucsess with doing live shows w/ computers. I only started to use them in 5/06 till now. We always used big analog consoles in the studio w/Mac and Pro Tools, but I was nervous of using sensitive equipment with unfriendly O.S.'s.

I am still very much into the old hardware for authentic analog synthesizers, and sequencing with hardware, plus hardware FX.My current rig which has worked flawlessly is a PC based system, which I currently have upgraded.

Servercase CK-480 4U ATX Rackmount Case
    OCZ Powerstream 520 watt P.S.U.
    Intel 865PERL w/ 3.4EE Northwood
    Kingston PC3200 ECC DDR-RAM 2GB
    3 x Scope DSP soundcards w/ GSIF 1.0 drivers
    3Ware 4 in 3 SATA RAID Cage
    WD360G O.S. + Apps.
    WD740G Gigapulse Impulses
    WD1500 Gigastudio 3 Libraries w/ SATA to IDE converter cable
    2 x Cyberresearch Dual Fan PCI cards
    Matrox G450 32MB 8x AGP
    Plextor PX-708A DVD/R
    Iomega Zip 100MB
    SKB 4U Shockmounted ATA case

I found the Creamware Scope soundcards to be an equal of the Pro Tools DSP cards IMHO, they have great DSP FX, excellant synths which I blend with my Oberheims, and Studio Electronics analogs, plus I watched them go down in price for 5 years before I decided to jump in head first.They are made to work with Gigastudio, but have no GSIF 2.0 drivers. I advise anyone who plays live and doesn't want to sequence all of their music to look into this combination. It is a live players dream for stability. I have hot swappable spares for all HDDs, and lots of extra parts for any surgery that might come along, but so far I have not even had a freeze or crash.

To Us, And Those Of Us Like Us,

Jimmy V.
    electronic

I would think that you'd want to back up, backup, backup and maybe even have a 2nd computer in the wings to be safe. Crash and burn happens!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum