• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: SOV vs. VOTA vs. EWQL Symphonic Choirs

Share/Bookmark

SOV vs. VOTA vs. EWQL Symphonic Choirs

My apologies if this topic has been beaten to death, but....

Without ever having used any of the three, and only hearing the demos, I am sure that there are strengths and weaknessses with each. I guess what I am wondering is: what is best? <ducking> Yeah, I know: loaded question.

Is there a great difference in sound quality?
    Does Symphonic Choirs have any/alot/all of the patches present in VOTA?
    Do all three work with Kontakt?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Re: SOV vs. VOTA vs. EWQL Symphonic Choirs

I don't have any of these. Sorry. But I do remember reading that SC is an entirely new product, containing none of VOTA.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

You should read the Novemeber Issue of Sound on SOund they do a great Review of EWQLC and Compare it to VOTA and SOV.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

I just got VOTA last night. (The price was right.) I've just played around with it so far, but it's pretty sweet. One of the strengths of the lib is the programming of the release samples. They eat polyphony, but sound very natural. The word builder is easy enough to use, but the results aren't as well defined as what I've heard from some of the recent EWQLSO demos. That's okay. The variation is enough to give the illusion of human voices. Also, the lib isn't as over the top as I had expected. It definitely has a soft side, but most user demos go for the loud stuff.

VOTA comes in Giga format with no copy protection, so you should be able to import it into Kontakt. You might lose some of the excellent programming though. The word builder utility is agnostic. It should be usable with Kontakt as well.

I'm happy with my purchase - especially at the price. I also prefer that I can mix and match the samples with other libs in GS3. It would have been nice to get the latest & greatest choir lib, but there's no doubt that I can put VOTA to good use. It's a quality library across the board.

VOTA has a mens and womens choirs. That's it. No children. No soloists. That's okay. I can get Giovani later, and solo vocal samples just aren't as effective as choirs.

I've heard great things about SOV and great demos from EWQLSO. I chose VOTA on price, and am very pleased. As a hobbyist, I just couldn't justify $500 for a choir lib.

-JF

VOTA provides a close enough facsimile of singing words that if you overdub a few real people over it it really sells the whole thing. I'm using it now to "fix" some choir tracks that were ruined by excessive bleed from other instruments.

Judging by the demos SC can hold its own much better when exposed but that comes at a cost. Can't comment about SOV.

Quote Originally Posted by RiffWraith
    .....I guess what I am wondering is: what is best?
    As usual, it depends on what are you looking for.

Although I'm biased, this is how I would rate them on their strengths and conceptual approaches and hopefully, most would agree with

Largest variety of different sounds and choirs in one package = SOV
    Most aggressive choirs with some word building = VOTA
    Most realistic word building with a single choir = EWQLSC

Yes, they all work in Kontakt.

Fair assessment? :-)

spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    As usual, it depends on what are you looking for.

Although I'm biased, this is how I would rate them on their strengths and conceptual approaches and hopefully, most would agree with

Largest variety of different sounds and choirs in one package = SOV
    Most aggressive choirs with some word building = VOTA
    Most realistic word building with a single choir = EWQLSC

Yes, they all work in Kontakt.

spectrum
    I agree completely.

I agree as well.
    I would also like to mention Peter Sidla .. chstkrkshprzzk 's older library "Classical Choir" in this thread as well. Very fine, competent library - in both CDDA and Giga as far as I know. It's been my choir for years, and you can shape words in much the same way as with VOTA.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Could not be more fair - thank you!

And thanks to all else who replied.

And don't forget about Giovani. If you're scoring to picture, there are times when a big choir can be too much, but when a children's choir may be just right. It all depends on the picture, and your inner iPod.

-JF

Go Back to forum