• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: A melodic tonal trio for harp, flute, and oboe

Share/Bookmark

Talking A melodic tonal trio for harp, flute, and oboe

Instead of studying for exams today, I just had to write this trio for harp, flute, and oboe. Once I started, I couldn't stop! So my exam grades will be bad, but . . . eh . . . Just kidding they will be fine . . . it'll take a miracle

But in all seriousness now . . . the trio is nice, tonal, and melodic, just how God invented music I have chosen to call this piece "Waiting for Christmas" because that's what I'm doing But if it conjures up some other picture in your mind . . . well, I'll allow it this one time

So here it is, "Waiting for Christmas" - Trio for harp, flute, and oboe : http://wizardwalk.com/music/Trio_for...e_and_Oboe.mp3

I actually didn't bother with the mod wheel this time after all, I do have exams to study for! That's my excuse . . . but I'll get around to it. I also think the ending needs a little work . . .

Anyway, I'd love to know your thoughts!

Enjoy!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: A melodic tonal trio for harp, flute, and oboe

How delightful, Sean Patrick! This is very good.

I don't think that the flow would be interrupted if you had the harp rest for a four-measure period here and there and had the flute or oboe "solo" or "duo" without the background for those four-bar periods. It would create variety and negate "sameness" in the harp. Try it but don't overdo it.

Also, the harp plays nicely with other instruments on the same melody but in thirds. It's a nice effect in my humble opinion.

Keep up the good work.

Best regards,

LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Very delightful, Sean!
    Skipping studying for exams to write music...
    If you intended the flute and oboe to be more legato, you can raise the polyphony over three and it'll make the lines all the more smooth. A polyphony of only one usually ends up in non-legatoness.

I can't help you with the compositional aspects, though. I'm too bad a composer. OK, 'inexperienced', not 'bad'.
    -Chris

[QUOTE=Larry G. Alexander]How delightful, Sean Patrick! This is very good.

I don't think that the flow would be interrupted if you had the harp rest for a four-measure period here and there and had the flute or oboe "solo" or "duo" without the background for those four-bar periods. It would create variety and negate "sameness" in the harp. Try it but don't overdo it.

Wow, I am going to agree with Larry What is the world coming to...Actually he has a very good point: there needs to be some change of texture, whether by having the harp drop out, playing something other than arpeggiations, etc. My thought was a little percussion - bells/cymbals (small). But this is all a way saying this is a very nice, very sweet composition. There is a kind of innocence and simplicity that suits the season well. Nice job!

R. Pearl

This is a very nice piece of writing, Sean. The melodies between the two woodwinds are sensitive and compliment each other nicely. I agree with the others that the harp needs either a rest or variety in it's performance.

As to your finals: I hope they are all in theory and composition. Then you'll have no problem . Good luck on the finals.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

What a lovely piece of writing Sean. This is very well done and the melodies are exquisite. I would agree with the others though on resting the harp now and then. Now crack the books and get busy.

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Beautiful job Sean Just the thing for a Tuesday* morning.

*any other day works too

Very Nice!! Great melodies! I enjoyed it a lot.

Larry, Chris, rpearl, RichR, Bill, Cobalt, Leif, and Eric . . . thank you for listening and commenting! I am happy you enjoyed it

Hmmm . . . resting the harp, eh? Thanks for the suggestion! Yes, that would be a good idea, since the texture is constantly constant I'll have to play around with that . . . I'm not sure how I could do that without the flow to it suddenly being interrupted though, if you know what I mean.

I wish my exams had anything to do with music, but instead they include math, science, and history The music department here at George Mason is more focused on music performance, so if you don't audition an instrument (which I can't), tough luck I whine about it a lot . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Sean

I too enjoyed this tremendously. Beautiful melodies, and my favorite instruments! Great job.

Good Luck with the tests!
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast