• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newbie question

Share/Bookmark

Newbie question

Just purchased GS3. My current computer has HPs version of XP, only 1 IDE drive, 1 gig ram, 2.6 Mhtz. So I know I'm not meeting the basic requirments for GS3. My question is, has anyone put GS3 and some content on the same IDE drive and have it work? I just want to do some simple, non intensive stuff with it and learn the program while I save for a dedicated computer for GS3.

Re: Newbie question

It will probably still work, though you may get drop outs - especially when you try to capture the audio to a file. But, it's worth a try...

-JF

I use GS3 on a 2.4Ghz P4 w/1G Ram, and 2 hard drives (one system and one for samples). And it runs fine, at least for small number of instruments, I don't think I've loaded up more than 6-7 at once. And I always run it along side Cubase SX 3 on the same machine.

So, I do have the extra hard drive, and you might not have a P4, but mine's clock speed is a little slower than yours. My guess is you'd be ok for a while, depending on your definition of 'non-intensive'.

cheers....

buzz

Thanks for the info. I got an answer quicker on this forum than it took Tascam to answer the phone.

I got GS3 all installed with the new patch and it works fine. I only loaded the Giga pianos for now. I want to see how it will do all being on 1 drive. I do have an odd sound though. When I push a note I get a slight bump sound just as I hit it. And then again when I release the note. This is also audible when pushing the sustain pedal and releasing. Any thoughts what this might be? I'm using an M-Audio Firewire 410 with GSIF 2 and it's working fine.

Try running a piano without GigaPulse and see if it stops "bumping". The pedal thing is typical of GigaPiano II with GigaPulse when the system can't quite keep up with the processing demands.

-JF

That's exactly what the bumping noise was. Does'nt happen on raw gig files.
    In regards to having everything on one drive, there is an alternate solution to getting a second computer. I was doing a little research on the web and found out I could, for about $500 - $600 get 2 74 gig sata Raptors and a PCI slot sata adapter. The only issue that the motherboard not being native Sata would limit your data rate to 150mps.
    Is 150mps adequate to get good performance from GS3?

Go Back to forum