• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Orchestration Challenge 5 Entries!

Share/Bookmark

Orchestration Challenge 5 Entries!

EDIT : My webserver has been going up and down lately so if you can't access the files, it's because it's down at the moment. Hopefully this strange fluctuating will be over by the time wake up in the morning . . .

Here was the original melody (composed by Mika) :

And the midi for the theme is here : http://wizardwalk.com/OrchestrationC...ChallengeV.mid
    (Styxx, ezz better, yes? goodt? )

In total, there were 10 entries Over 20 minutes of music!

And here are the entries:

Entry 1
    Entry 2
    Entry 3
    Entry 4
    Entry 5
    Entry 6
    Entry 7
    Entry 8
    Entry 9
    Entry 10

Whew! Quite a lot!

I'll e-mail Gary to ask about setting up an official poll soon . . . when should the vote-by date be?

Thanks to all who participated! Enjoy the entries!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Orchestration Challenge 5 Entries!

Excellent response to this challenge!

Can't wait to get home to listen to all the entries.

As regards the closing date for voting/announcing the winner, I'm still in favor of having a Christmas day winner - but it's really up to you Sean as you have become the administrator by default
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Sean, could you post the original melody to read along?
    Tanks. Ezz too much trouble then dunt. Yes? No? Maybe? Not? Ezz goodt!
    Styxx

I'm partial to number three.
    Styxx

Well, here's my humble stab at these orchestrations:
    • Entry 3: Nice and long, but perhaps a bit thick in places. Still, an interesting attempt at making something somewhat tonal out of an atonal melody. Also a few original melodies added in for spice.
    • Entry 4: Nice "movie action" piece. It got my adrenaline pumping right from the get-go! I thought the trumpets might have been a bit repetitive, but still the overall piece sounded like something Out of Williams' earliuer works. Very entertaining!
    • Entry 5: Excellent use of JABB (at least, that's what I think it is). I was really impressed with the use of the "smooth jazz" sound. The ambience was very authentic.
    • Entry 7: I'm calling this one the "Dinosaur!" Seriously, it sounded like something from Rite of Spring. And that is in no way a put-down. I truly liked the entrances of the various instruments.
    • Entry 8: And for another one of my spiffy names, I call this one the "Nutcracker." It just sounded to me like something from The Nutcracker Suite. I truly enjoyed the layering and "round-like" idioms.
    • Entry 10: Wow... a lot of potential here. Very moody, but it somehow seems incomplete, as if the composer were not quite finished with his/her thought (at least in the first half). Still, you've gotta admit the middle third of the work has some excellent counterpoint. Wish I had thought of that!
    So, which one am I going to vote for? I don't know...
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator
    http://FosterPayne.com/default.aspx

Post 89,000 . . . . hehehe

Oohh, I love interesting comments like that, C. Foster Payne, thank you! I encourage others to do the same if they are willing
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thumbs up Re: Orchestration Challenge 5 Entries!

89,001 Ha!
    Looks like me have more listening to do. Yes Sean, thanks for the melody! Ezz goodt. ...
    Styxx

Entry 1 - Wow, very convoluted woodwind fugue of sorts. This certainly breaks every single rule of counterpoint that I know! Not a bad thing though, haha, very interesting use of the melody however. The ending is so happy!

Entry 2 - Shocking right from the getgo. It almost sounds like Entry 1 until the rest of the orchestra comes in. Kind of reminds me of a foreboding prelude to the battlefield. Definately playing off the dissonence in the original. It seems to want to break out of the confines of the given melody and become its own beautiful self though, more of trying to break out of the restrains rather than going along with the flow.

Entry 3 - Nice piano intro. Setting up a melody prior to the given one was a good touch. Also, taking the melody out of its rhythmical constraints and making it a bit more rubato was interesting indeed. When the brass comes in, I think, is very strong and has some great voicings of the chords for a warm fuzzy sound. It's definately evident that the whole month was spent going into this entry! Something certain others of us couldn't claim

Entry 4 - Definately very action-packed, it almost seemed to flow right from the previous entry almost. An interesting touch, using part of the melody as an ostinato that everything else was put on top of. Short and concise.

Entry 5 - Whoa! What a contrast. This melody is definately well-suited to jazz, and this entry does a good job fitting it into that idiom. And hey, there's some GPO strings there too Aww, it fades out though.

Entry 6 - Interesting spontanious use of the orchestra. Jumps around a lot. I think I would've used less mark tree in the mix. EQ is a bit skewed as well. Orchestration is very interesting though! Another short and concise one

Entry 7 - Now that's a pleasant sound haha. Take some 7ths and put the melody in between. Very interesting choices in the orchestration.

Entry 8 - The orchestration in this one sounds a bit mechanical to me. Could definately use some controller data as well as some varying on entries and exits. The percussion was a bit random, but I did enjoy the use of harp!

Entry 9 - Cool, handbells! Reminds me of something very eastern in some parts. Meditative almost. Of course the march of the snare drum breaks that, adding a bit of a militaristic approach in the background.

Entry 10 - More handbells! I like the piano/harp ostinati in this one. The use of the melody is very cool as well. I like the instruments used, really gives that feeling of suspense that the melody lends itself to. And then it picks up! I agree with Fossman that it certainly could've kept going! There's nice ideas in this one for sure.

---

Wow guys, huge variety of entries this time around! I really enjoyed listening to all of them! (And yes, I did comment on my own entry... it would be pretty obvious if I just ignored the one I wrote!)

An excellent range of entries - these challenges are going from strength to strength!

It's good to hear such a wide variety of treatments of a theme that wasn't the most straightforward.

I need to listen some more to each entry before I can comment/critique in detail. All I can say at the moment is that they are all very worthy entries and voting will be very difficult and, I am sure, very close.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Man, these are very nice entries. Hm, must listen more.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum