• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: 3 budget soundcards...which is better?

Share/Bookmark

3 budget soundcards...which is better?

My budget is very tight, being a student, and was only about 60 bucks up or so but I've decided to just splurge $130 and worry about the consequences later (I know, bad thinking, but I just can't make music with this card).

Thanks to some help here and elsewhere, I have narrowed down my choices.

These are the three I am considering:

M-Audio Audiophile 24/96

E-mu 0404

Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

In the Soundblaster review I noticed someone said they had upgraded from the Audiophile to this one and it sounded better?

And anyways, the main point of this is that I'm not the most technically able person so I was wondering whether anyone would be able to point to the best of these three, or anyone have experience to compare one to the other?

Re: 3 budget soundcards...which is better?

I own 3 24/96 cards. They sound great, have low latency and are very well supported on XP systems- I never have a lick of trouble. So I'll vouch for them. I can't say anything about a head-to-head comparison though, I've never used the other two.

I have heard a lot of negative things about the Soundblaster and the Emu cards.

I might also add the Echo Mia Midi to consider along with the Audiophile. I have been happy with my Echo Mia in my Dell PC, used along with Sonar.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

I have a MIA as well and it's a good card. I don't like its user interface but that's really a cosmetic issue.

The Audiophile 24/96 is a standard card that has been around several years (so has the Mia). I think the Audiophile is now $100. I paid $150 for mine three years ago, and have never had a problem with it. Excellent card.

I have an 0404 and never had an issue with it. Some have, but i also think a lot of those issues were taken care of in their latest driver release. You also get a quite a few LE versions of different software that are upgradeable. As well, i think its the only low budget solution to offer hardware assisted DSP - you can get a reverb and many other effects for free (cpu speaking).

It is a good value and sounds fantastic.

steve

Last I heard Emu (Soundblaster) doesn't support GSIF so Gigastudio is out if you buy them.

Ernie

GS3 will rewire so you dont absolutely need a GSIF sound card. In fact there are 2 non-gsif options. If you run GS3 on the same computer as your daw, you can rewire it to your host, so you dont need gsif, but if you run it remote on another pc you can run gigateleport (or the fxteleport/gigavst adapter) - each option provides a "soft" gsif driver. You could also run GS3 with a rewire host on the remote box (something that comes with the 0404) and get wormhole2 from plasq which i actually find to be a better option than gigateleport.

steve

I don't use Gigastudio, so that's not a problem. Thanks for the replies. I think I'm leaning towards the Audiophile or Mia at the moment, if only there was a comparison at the moment...

One thing that led me to the Mia is the use of 1/4 jacks instead of RCA jacks (used in the audiohphile, I believe). I am not sure it makes much of a difference and I am not looking to flame audiophiles (lot's of people are happy with both).

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Go Back to forum