• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: VSL or Sonic Implants Symphonic Libraries

Share/Bookmark

VSL or Sonic Implants Symphonic Libraries

Hi,

I've been using the GOS strings and the Dan Dean Solo Brass and Wind libraries for several years. In general I am happy with them, but will upgrade if I can get better instruments.

Does anyone have any experience comparing the above libraries with the VSL pro edition and/or the Sonic Implants complete symphonic libraries? Other than the addition of percussion, how do the winds, brass and strings compare? I've been running two gigastudio computers and will probably upgrade those as well.

Thanks!
    Jerry Gerber
    http://www.jerrygerber.com
    http://www.jerrygerber.com/currentmusic.htm

Re: VSL or Sonic Implants Symphonic Libraries

i'm a vsl user and i think there is no comparison to the older libraries. that said, i'm not going to upgrade to the new Vienna instruments, but i am thinking about SI to fill in the string gaps. does anyone have some insight as to what the benefits of those libraries working together might be?

I have a few friends who are quite adamant about SI, and I can see why. I'm a VSL + EWQLSO user myself, and constantly have to do weird stuff with combining patches from different libraries or filters and such to get a warm and realistic tone with the strings, but SI's strings have a good timbre right away. VSL's performance legato is still pretty amazing, but the whole library in general seems to suffer from an aesthetic of "realism over beauty". For example, yesterday I was doing something with an english horn solo, got all psyched up to use the 250mb VSL perfleg patch but eventually ended up just using EWQL-Pro's 40mb english horn instead; somehow the VSL one sounded like it could've come from a 2mb soundfont.

I'd just suggest listening to what people are doing with these libraries and see what timbre you're most comfortable with. SI gives a warmer and (in my weird opinion) more delicate tone, whereas VSL will give you much more bite in the strings and "closeness" for the winds. If you're gonna buy just one thing though, SI seems to be the safest bet these days. It's extremely versatile, seems to be much easier to use, and doesn't have any noticeable weaknesses.
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hey Jerry, long time no see...

I think you'd be happy either way. It depends upon where your writing is going at the moment. VSL is more intimate, it's a very studio-overdub type sound, but extremely workable. The studio setting makes note transitioning a lot more stable, and they've done some amazing tricks in getting characteristic legato sounds.

Sonic Implants is also top-shelf. The studio they recorded in is a converted smallish rectangular hall, and it's a more live-sounding recording with some definite wall bounce and tail. However, it's not hugely prominent, and wouldn't be what I'd call a hall-ambience kind of recording.

If you upgrade the GigaStudio machines to fast, modern processors, you'll probably enjoy upgrading GigaStudio to 3.0 as well, because the back end routing is far superior, and the GigaPulse technology sounds fantastic. You would need to upgrade to use the new Sonic Implants library anyway, because it is heavily using the Giga 3.0 technology.

Does anyone think S.I. will have Kontakt 2 format libs coming out soon? I like their Orchestral Strings too because they are very smooth and repsonsive. But I only have a few that came with Gigastudio 3 Orchestra and I don't use it any longer because it was messing up my computer.

I don't have either VSL or SI, but if I had to choose, I'd go with SI. But my reasons are more pecuniary than artistic. I could probably come up with $3000 (or whatever it is) if I worked on it, but I doubt I'd ever be able to raise $11,000!

Whichever you choose, I look forward to hearing what you come up with. It was hearing your 5th Symphony that made me decide to dive into the virtual orchestra realm. Thanks for your great work, and I hope to hear more soon.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by davecos
    Does anyone think S.I. will have Kontakt 2 format libs coming out soon? I like their Orchestral Strings too because they are very smooth and repsonsive. But I only have a few that came with Gigastudio 3 Orchestra and I don't use it any longer because it was messing up my computer.
    M-Audio has released, in their Pro Session series, an Orchestral Strings package which uses the SI string samples. It is a basic package - mainly legato, staccato and pizzicato with some mod-wheel controlled fades etc. There are individual sections as well as ensemble strings. It's designed in multi formats including Kontakt 2. You might want to look into this for basic stuff anyway.

Thanks everyone for replying to inquiry. I am going to have to sit down and listen to both libraries and decide for myself. I am going after a certain kind of sound, hard to describe, but I will know it when I hear it. Bruce Richardson, hello! Nice to hear from you again. And Dan, thanks for the kind words about my 5th symphony for the virtual orchestra.

In case any of you are interested in hearing what I've been doing with the Garritan strings and Dan Dean Solo Brass and Solo Winds library, go here!

http://www.jerrygerber.com/currentmusic.htm

Best,

Jerry

Before I got myself new stuff, I was using exactly what you use, Jerry: GOS and DD brass and woods.
    GOS and DD are dry samples, whereas many samples today are recorded with ambience. From this perspective I'd like to point out that SI sounds more distant (in a good way) and contains some ambience while VSL is at least as dry as GOS and DD are - really "in your face". I went VSL, but I have to admit that while I really like the versatility that comes with dry samples, it needs work to give VSL a beleavable kind of 'distant ambience' that some of the SI sounds provides.

I think this is a relevant aspect to consider when listening and choosing
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Before I got myself new stuff, I was using exactly what you use, Jerry: GOS and DD brass and woods.
    GOS and DD are dry samples, whereas many samples today are recorded with ambience. From this perspective I'd like to point out that SI sounds more distant (in a good way) and contains some ambience while VSL is at least as dry as GOS and DD are - really "in your face". I went VSL and I do think that my prior diom of dry samples led my way a bit. However, I have to admit that while I really like the versatility that comes with dry samples, it needs work to give VSL a realistical kind of 'distant ambience' that some of the SI sounds provides.

I think this is a relevant aspect to consider when listening and choosing
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast