• Register
  • Help

Topic: Symphony No. 1 (Mvt. 1- Largo Misterioso) - Revised

Share/Bookmark

Symphony No. 1 (Mvt. 1- Largo Misterioso) - Revised

Here's my first movement of a symphony I'm working on. Made revisions and took etLux's solution and altered the ending (for better or worse, but I honestly disliked the original ending I had). I've started the second movement, so that'll be finished soon. (it feels good to have a whole lot more RAM )

Comments/suggestions are gladly excepted. I'm still no expert at GPO, so...

Note: It's still considerably long... <_<

Click on...

Symphony No. 1 (Mvt. 1- Largo Misterioso)

... from here:

http://cata.dmusic.com/

-Cata
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Re: Symphony No. 1 (Mvt. 1- Largo Misterioso) - Revised

wow, I love the beginning, a dark thunderous (ouch, should have lowered the volume lolz). Some parts seems empty at the moment. Good job.
    Ke Yang (OMG I'm using mah name)
    Insert Useless Advertisement Here

My Work List With GPO

Note: You might have noticed there's nothing there, yet. Massive editing going on.

very moody beginning, sounds good. At the first climax, around 1:00, you could certainly do more with orchestration. In particular, perhaps anticipate the sound of the flute and maybe the other woodwinds along with the tam-tam? Then at 3:40 or so, do the same thing by adding the string sound as an anticipation to the changed music?

The slow pace of everything works ok sitting in front of a computer listening; not sure about how it would work in a concert hall -- but hopefully you'll find out!

Nice original sound combinations here and there! The new theme at 5:10 or so, while good, struck me on first listening as a lapse in the overall movement, when it's always easier to think of a new idea rather than to work with what is already present. The section at 5:50 sounded a little goofy, not sure why that was there ... and those subsequent pauses are sure to cause audience coughing, shuffling, candy unwrapping. On one listening, I'd recommend re-working the whole section from 5:00 to around 9:00 (a lot, I know ...) to compress and aim for just one, maybe two high points, get a little more drama in it.

Returning to the misterioso works pretty well for your current slow ending ... before it came, I was wondering if you'd bang on the percussion, almost held my headphones away in expectation .. and sure enough, there it was. Reasonably tastefully done, anyway.

Good work, hope these scattered comments are useful.

Excellent work Cata. The opening has an almost Bruckner like anticipation of a thunderous climax and sure enough. The theme on the flute is very captivating and well developed. I love the cresendo and increased motion around 3:30 but I think you are over modulating in your mix. There is some occasional distortion. The gradual decrease of momentum up to about 7:00 then return to motion is another touch I liked. Loved the ending. Can't wait for the second movement.

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    very moody beginning, sounds good. At the first climax, around 1:00, you could certainly do more with orchestration. In particular, perhaps anticipate the sound of the flute and maybe the other woodwinds along with the tam-tam? Then at 3:40 or so, do the same thing by adding the string sound as an anticipation to the changed music?

The slow pace of everything works ok sitting in front of a computer listening; not sure about how it would work in a concert hall -- but hopefully you'll find out!

Nice original sound combinations here and there! The new theme at 5:10 or so, while good, struck me on first listening as a lapse in the overall movement, when it's always easier to think of a new idea rather than to work with what is already present. The section at 5:50 sounded a little goofy, not sure why that was there ... and those subsequent pauses are sure to cause audience coughing, shuffling, candy unwrapping. On one listening, I'd recommend re-working the whole section from 5:00 to around 9:00 (a lot, I know ...) to compress and aim for just one, maybe two high points, get a little more drama in it.

Returning to the misterioso works pretty well for your current slow ending ... before it came, I was wondering if you'd bang on the percussion, almost held my headphones away in expectation .. and sure enough, there it was. Reasonably tastefully done, anyway.

Good work, hope these scattered comments are useful.
    Thanks for the comments. I really do appreciate the suggestions. It's something that I will keep in mind, but there are just things that I intentionally want done. I guess a composer has certain things he/she wants implemented in a piece, despite what the audience's opinions are. I may edit that 5:50 part, but not that much... of course I could change my mind someday...

-Cata
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Quote Originally Posted by Tovan
    wow, I love the beginning, a dark thunderous (ouch, should have lowered the volume lolz). Some parts seems empty at the moment. Good job.
    Glad you liked it! Yes, some parts may seem empty, but it was pretty much intentional. Thanks for the comments!

-Cata
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    Excellent work Cata. The opening has an almost Bruckner like anticipation of a thunderous climax and sure enough. The theme on the flute is very captivating and well developed. I love the cresendo and increased motion around 3:30 but I think you are over modulating in your mix. There is some occasional distortion. The gradual decrease of momentum up to about 7:00 then return to motion is another touch I liked. Loved the ending. Can't wait for the second movement.

Bill
    Thanks for listening! Yes, I hear the distortions, due the loud bass <_<. A technical thing I'll fix sooner or later (just waiting for complete mvt. 2). Glad you enjoyed it! My second movement won't be long until it's finished... I hope.
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Go Back to forum