• Register
  • Help

Topic: As it's nearly Christmas. Something traditional

Share/Bookmark

As it's nearly Christmas. Something traditional

Hello all.

Well after my last electronica/orchestral hybrid thing, here is a traditional carol http://www.markone.eclipse.co.uk/dow...d Ivy mix1.mp3

I have to admit the arrangement started life as a simple MIDI file for piano I found, and I was intrigued by some of the interesting chords used, so I thought it would be cool to try to arrange it in Cubase SX using GPO.

This time I've delved into keyswitching which has brought the violin parts to a new level, swapping between different articulations for single notes or runs. (However you will notice some sort of glitch in the pizz intro where one of the cellos briefly switches to a legato note - This seems to happen randomly on this particular note about half the times I play it through - Weird! )

Anyway I hope it starts to put you into the festive mood!

Mark

Re: As it's nearly Christmas. Something traditional

Beautifully done! Great sound to this, both the arrangement itself and the mix.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Definitely great orchestration, I enjoyed it very much!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

OK, this has bugged me for a long time. There's this song in many of the medlys that we play in band, but there's never the name of the stupid carol there. What is it? What are the words? The first time I've ever even heard this melody was in eigth grade and I was confused as to why it was in a Christmas medly.
    WHAT IS IT????

Oh, great orcehstration, I love your use of the bells and pipe organ, two of my favorite instruments. Which patch was it that you used on the organ? It didn't sound quite as full as the 'full organ', but it was nice, not overpowering. Or my speakers are so bad that the 'full organ' sounds much weaker.
    I enjoyed that very much!!
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    OK, this has bugged me for a long time. There's this song in many of the medlys that we play in band, but there's never the name of the stupid carol there. What is it? What are the words? The first time I've ever even heard this melody was in eigth grade and I was confused as to why it was in a Christmas medly.
    WHAT IS IT????
    The holly and the ivy

1. The holly and the ivy,
    Now both are full well grown.
    Of all the trees that are in the wood,
    The holly bears the crown.

Chorus

Oh, the rising of the sun,
    The running of the deer.
    The playing of the merry organ,
    Sweet singing in the quire.
    2. The holly bears a blossom
    As white as lily flower;
    And Mary bore sweet Jesus Christ
    To be our sweet Savior. Chorus

3. The holly bears a berry
    As red as any blood;
    To do poor sinners good. Chorus

4. The holly bears a prickle
    As sharp as any thorn;
    On Christmas day in the morn. Chorus

5. The holly bears a bark
    As bitter as any gall;
    For to redeem us all. Chorus

6. The holly and the ivy,
    When they are both full grown,
    The holly bears the crown. Chorus

Appeared in Songs of the Nativity William Henry Husk (London: John Camden Hotten, 1868) who states his copy to have been taken from "an old broadside, printed a century and a half since," i.e., about 1710.

It is possible that it is an ancient carol. The praise of the holly and ivy was a favourite subject with the medieval carolists. The epithet "merry" is applied to the organ by Chaucer, in his Canterbury Tales whereas later other terms are invariably used.

Some historians suggest this could actually date back a thousand years!

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Oh, great orcehstration, I love your use of the bells and pipe organ, two of my favorite instruments. Which patch was it that you used on the organ? It didn't sound quite as full as the 'full organ', but it was nice, not overpowering. Or my speakers are so bad that the 'full organ' sounds much weaker.
    I enjoyed that very much!!
    -Chris
    Yes it was full organ! But I mixed it back a little to avoid the strings and woodwinds from being completely overwhelmed.

I'm glad you liked it!

Beautiful!!! I like your orchestration and the harmonic ideas. Very festive! Also, nicely mixed. Just the right amount of reverb, I think. Thanks for sharing.

Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Good job. That was great!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkOne
    The holly and the ivy

1. The holly and the ivy,
    Now both are full well grown.
    The holly bears the crown.

Chorus
    [INDENT]
    Oh, the rising of the sun,
    The running of the deer.
    The playing of the merry organ,
    Sweet singing in the quire.

Yes it was full organ! But I mixed it back a little to avoid the strings and woodwinds from being completely overwhelmed.

I'm glad you liked it!
    Oh, you didn't have to post all the verses. I only ment the first verse and chorus or something to jog my memory. Hmmm....no bells ringing there. I guess I just never happened to hear that particular carol.

I guess it was my speakers then. I took a good listen to all of the GPO organ patches, and I was surprised how they all seemed to sound the same. There were slight differences in the thickness, or fullness of tone, but they were all pretty much the same but some with the reed stop(s) louder or softer, and the same with diapason, flutes, and mixtures.
    I was surprised that there were no patches of flutes 8' 4' 2', diapason 8', 4' and a ligtht mixture stop. That's a truely beautiful, but not overpowering sound. You can probably mimik this with the flutes in octaves (the sampled 'flutes' patch is an 8' and a 4', so if you add another octave you can add a 2') prinzipal in octaves (the prinzipal patch is a 4', so it sounds an octave above the MIDI note), and the scarf IV with a significantly lower mod value than the others. I've never tried this, so I don't know if it will yeild the same sound as the one I'm thinking of. As for pedals to go with this combonation, I would recomend bourdon flutes and diapason 16' and 8', but unfortunantly the GPO organ is somewhat limited in pedal stops. In the GM patches, 'whistle' and 'piccolo' or 'flute' make good pedal stops.

OK, I"ll stop rambling. Pipe organs are just way too much fun!!

-Chris
    Last edited by cptexas; 12-13-2005 at 04:57 PM. Reason: incorrect info

Hi Mark from Bristol!
    Wonderful arrangement - I loved it! Good work. I've been listening to it loads.

As it happens I've also been working on an arrangement of Holly - it's one of my fave carols of all time. I'll post it on another thread if I have time. Not for comparison of course (could never better yours!) - mine's a little different, with a newly composed middle section. Although it does also feature sleigh bells!!

Thanks for posting your fantastic arrangement.
    Jon

Thumbs up Re: As it's nearly Christmas. Something traditional

I like traditional carrol, and if they are less known...I like it more!

thanks for the nice file you share!

Go Back to forum