• Register
  • Help

Topic: New solo trumpet library

Share/Bookmark

New solo trumpet library

Anyone else notice this? If you can get past the god-awful demos, the basic tones seem pretty good to me. Not sure if you can actually use it in a musical way though.

http://www.warpiv.com/1050394.html

Re: New solo trumpet library

Gee, $299 for just a trumpet lib ?
    And well, the demos don't make me thrill that much.
    -------
    I think that at this price, you shoud definitely decide nothing before having closely listened to the Hein's Horns lib's demos (this is a complete section lib, which has all the useful artuculations and sounds great , I mean, as far as sampled winds and brass are concerned (please Bruce don't shot me ... and happens to be available on SOL site at this time of XMAs sales....)
    i'm not affiliated in any way with SOL or Chris Hein, I'm simply waiting for my own copy to arrive !!

Some of the special techniques- kiss offs, drops and such, sound OK but the basic tone of the trumpet is somehow very keyboardy to me. It seems to lack b*lls in the lower frequencies. Maybe it's just the mix. And the polyphonic bits are total organ syndrome.

And I hate to bag on someone's hard work but yeah those demos bite.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Wow, I could only make it through about 30 seconds of that.

Appalling. It's not even music. It's as if someone created a computer program to create anti music.

If this is what sampling is doing to music, I say we make a big fire and burn them all.

that demos sound like poor imitation of Lalo Schifrin. as to the sound, who plays trumpet like that nowadays?

What is it about brass libraries, at any price, that makes the resulting demos sound like a Yamaha home keyboard........especially with 'jazz', big band, funk (all genres which, luckily, leave me cold) etc.?

Yes, I'm serious....am I'm starting to agree with Bruce!!?

I like to think that I could do better as I understand the need for and am prepared to spend the time using controllers. I do hope I'm correct and it's not just something inherent in brass sampling. It's always worse with Sections......ie chords.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    What is it about brass libraries, at any price, that makes the resulting demos sound like a Yamaha home keyboard........especially with 'jazz', big band, funk (all genres which, luckily, leave me cold) etc.?

Yes, I'm serious....am I'm starting to agree with Bruce!!?
    Scary, ain't it?

I think the short answer is, no matter how many articulations you record and map, getting an "all-purpose" jazz/big-band/funk horn section to behave properly is well nigh impossible.

To get close, you need a producer on the library end who understands the genre absolutely...and you need a producer on the user end who knows how to play the genre in question extremely well on an acoustic instrument. And even at that, you get an end result that is displeasing most of the time.

Is it any wonder? The word "jazz" itself was 1920's black American slang for , as in "He's jazzin' Mary behind her husband's back." The music we call jazz was initially coined "that jazz music" by writers, and stuck...but the phenomenon was that the wails of the players were reminiscent of the sound of a woman being, ahem...pleasured.

So, how do you encapsulate that into something that can somehow be controlled with a set of what amounts to buttons and knobs? The outright expression of jazz playing is as intimate and immediate as . It's utterly in the moment. It is, of all kinds of music, the music OF the instant.

So, we're back to the milquetoast...someone says, "Well, for samples, that sounds really swell." Never mind that spiritually, artistically, or any other "-ally" it bears absolutely no relationship to the act of actual musicmaking in the given genre!!

Someone remarked in another thread that I shouldn't be "hanging out" here because I hate samples so much. That is really misunderstanding me. I think samples are a fantastic medium in which to work. I just don't think they should be abused into the mere "mocking" of music that they're not suited to produce. There are so many ways to use samples with shocking good results.

Why do some people have this morbid fascination with absolutely raping styles that first, samples cannot effectively produce, and second, that they have no earthly clue how to play??

To add to the discussion, I think the reason that Thomas's little "mellow jazz" library works where others do not, is that Thomas was very smart about creating a set of samples dedicated to a very NARROW stylistic approach. He is also smart enough as a producer and as a recordist to know what he needs to get in a session, and to map it in a fashion that allows a person's physical expression to reflect an analagous output.

The reason this library seems to utterly fail (as far as these demos express) is that it is a grab bag of such diverse, and frankly, horribly cheesy articulations that the meat of expression itself is totally lost in the mix. It is like a parody of jazz styling, hopelessly tasteless. Whether the library could be used musically is in complete question. No one actually plays trumpet like this, at least not anyone with a remotely modern sense of jazz playing. All those doits, growls, flutters...all of that stuff is extremely dated. No one has really played that way since Miles came along almost sixty years ago.

well it could be good for some cliche stuff ala "the incredibles" MAYBE..

But yeah from what I hear this blows, hard

The demos sound um, weird, but the sound seems generally nice, but not $300 nice..

Go Back to forum