• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Dongle crashed Logic....now I'm mad

Share/Bookmark

Dongle crashed Logic....now I'm mad

A Synchrosoft Dongle (for the Miroslav Plugin) was not found on my system when I tried to open the Plugin.....apparently that USB Port was not live or something.

I clicked "ok" the dialogue box thrown up by the plug (suggesting i re-authorize, etc.) and Logic promptly crashed with no save.

Shouldn't be allowed.....grrrr

Dongle Users, beware...and send a complaint email to Synchrosoft if you never want it to happen to you:

contact@syncrosoft.com

N

Re: Dongle crashed Logic....now I'm mad

I've had problems getting Syncrosoft dongles to work with Steinberg products under OS X Tiger, and it will crash whatever program you're in if it doesn't find the dongle when it thinks it's supposed to. But I haven't encountered anything worse than that, in other words Logic has always started right up afterwards.

So a mail bomb campaign to Syncrosoft might be a little OTT. This is more like a tech support issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    it will crash whatever program you're in if it doesn't find the dongle when it thinks it's supposed to. But I haven't encountered anything worse than that
    Nick, are you saying you really don't mind if Logic crashes without warning, you're working to the clock, and you've lost anything you hadn't saved recently ...?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    So a mail bomb campaign to Syncrosoft might be a little OTT. This is more like a tech support issue.
    Well, I didn't use the words "MailBomb", but I think this is not a tech issue....it's a matter of principle that a license control application should not be able to bring down the sequencer, only block the plugin it's there to regulate. So I do think anyone using the product should express their opinion to Syncrosoft if they also feel it's important.

If we don't speak up, developers will assume everything's ok.Remember how posts on this forum finally got us a usable QLSO manual?

**end of minor Rant ;-)

Nigel

The same thing happened to me last week when i hooked up my Tascam DVRA-1000 to the same hub like the Scarbee Syncrosoftdongle.
    Had to reinstall the VKC and download a new driver for the key before i could get back to working.
    But now i am having cut off notes and missing velocity layers in VKC.
    Halion player/Syncrosoft sucks!
    Wish i bought the EXS version instead!

best
    Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W
    Nick, are you saying you really don't mind if Logic crashes without warning, you're working to the clock, and you've lost anything you hadn't saved recently ...?

Nigel
    Well, Nigel what i think Nick was too nice to say, and I am not, is that if you are on the clock and installing something new or attaching a dongle while Logic is open with a file that has been changed without being resaved you have been guilty of bad judgement at best.

Call me crazy but it would seem to me to be merely common sense that you save your work, quit Logic, do your installation/dongle attachment, then reopen Logic and the file.

If when you then try to open the plug-in Logic crashes, well then, now you have something to discuss with tech support but no work has been lost.

It is an old saw but still true that "haste makes waste."
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic
    Well, Nigel what i think Nick was too nice to say, and I am not, is that if you are on the clock and installing something new or attaching a dongle while Logic is open with a file that has been changed without being resaved you have been guilty of bad judgement at best.
    It's not that he was too nice to say it, it's just that he actually read the post.

Nothing similar to this has happened to me, but I agree that no plugin should intentionally crash the host (although let's not assume that's what happened). If a plugin intentionally crashes the host for any reason, that in my mind equates to it being malicious code, a virus...

it's a matter of principle that a license control application should not be able to bring down the sequencer, only block the plugin it's there to regulate. So I do think anyone using the product should express their opinion to Syncrosoft if they also feel it's important.
    Do you think the Syncrosoft engineer stays up late at night thinking of ways his dongle can crash your work? As a matter of principle? It's software. Good software rarely crashes. Not as good software, well... you get my point.

If you're interested in software that never crashes, read this!

If all software were written to these specs, nothing would ever crash (and there would be very little software, and what there was would cost a fortune)

A simple bug report should suffice. Syncrosoft is not out to crash your machine. They don't care about you. They want their dongle to work perfectly. So help them out with a bug report. Remove the emotion and give them a scientific, repeatable bug. They'll fix it - guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by RellikL
    It's not that he was too nice to say it, it's just that he actually read the post.
    I just re-read the post and you are absolutely correct, I did not read it carefully enough. My apology to the original poster.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyroberts
    If you're interested in software that never crashes, read this!
    From that article:

"Consider these stats : the last three versions of the program -- each 420,000 lines long-had just one error each. The last 11 versions of this software had a total of 17 errors. Commercial programs of equivalent complexity would have 5,000 errors."

It's amazing that so many billions of dollars get spent on such crap software today. No wonder the upgrade cycle never ends, it's not supposed to (in the commercial arena anyway-----cash flow anyone?)

Being that this is the case, what's the point in putting so much effort into protecting commercial software/crapware in the first place? After all the thousands of dollars I have invested in legit license agreements and then have to turn around and deal with all these various forms of copy protection, I have to ask myself what for? Hahaha! The world indeed is a very funny place.

I'll keep my dollars in my wallet from now on. It's going to take a real earthshaking piece of software to open my wallet again. I don't think I will have to worry about this anytime soon though, I haven't seen anything released in software (music or otherwise) like this in years. Today's software/crapware is just not worth it!

Nigel, you're upset enough to ask that everyone get up in arms and write to Syncrosoft. I was only trying to confirm the problem while reassuring you that it's unlikely the crash hosed your Logic installation.

So for heaven's sake, please don't get pissed off at me! I don't want my system to crash either.

By the way, it's not all Steinberg products that aren't working with the Syncrosoft dongle on my rig, just two of them. HALion works fine, for example. I'll post again if I'm able to figure out the problem.

Go Back to forum