• Register
  • Help

Topic: This is dynamite....required reading

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation This is dynamite....required reading

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    What is the connection between creating/composing words or music, the Atomic Energy Authority and the US foreign policy?

The following is required reading for all artists and thinking humans with a conscience, IMHO.

http://nobelprize.org/literature/lau...lecture-e.html
    http://service.spiegel.de/cache/inte...389200,00.html

I am grateful that there are people Like Mohammed El Baradei, and Harold Pinter, with the moral stamina and intellectual muscle to dedicate themselves to the search for truth and peace....we need them more than ever.

Nigel

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: This is dynamite....required reading

Harold Pinter's piece was remarkable. Thanks. I'm actually doing one of his plays in a few months...one of the truly great playwrights and thinkers of all times.

I am not much of a Pinter Fan, but I must say, that speech was outstanding.
    Thanks for the link.
    regards

That "death" poem he quoted in that article (his own, I might add) was horrible.

See Jane run. Run Jane run. Why does Jane run? Jane runs for fun.

I could go down to the coffee shop three blocks away, give a crazy looking high schooler a microphone, and him/her could come up with something a whole lot better in 5 seconds notice.

Personally, my favorite part is where he was talking about the Nicaragua delegation that he attended and how intense it was. Then he inserted a part about how someone came up and told him how great his plays were.

Is there a prize given for really bad art and conceitedness?
    Last edited by Danimal; 12-12-2005 at 01:00 AM. Reason: decapitalize and add
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Gosh, Danimal.....bad art? That's opening up a can of worms, isn't it?

I agree it's not a pretty poem, but it's not there to be liked.

Even if he only has one lick, it's one that is very hard to master ;-)

And Harold Pinter conceited? Unlikely. The point he was making there was IMO the opposite of conceit: that he was- in that awful situation where powerful people are glibly accepting the suffering of innocent people as the price of their political agenda-unwilling, or perhaps unable to reply to someone talking about a trivial thing such as his plays.

Nigel

PS glad you took the time to read it ;-)

and BTW- mark Twain (who you quote) is one of my favourites, even though his lifelong scepticism is not always endearing.
    Last edited by Nigel W; 12-13-2005 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Mark Twain

Ahh Bad Art. Let discuss this subject!
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

Bad Art = Harold Pinter

Bad Art = John Cage

My opinion does not reflect the subjective nature of artform. Sure, in that sense, what is art? If you're going to be relative about it, then the only prerequisite for art is that someone calls it art, even if it's Concerto for 40 Fingernails on a Chalkboard.

There is some line that distinguishes between people rubbing feces on themselves and Mozart. Harold Pinter and John Cage are much closer to the feces rubbing artform than Mozart or, say, Arthur Miller.

When I read Harold Pinter or listen to John Cage I walk away with the feeling that they've made a mockery of artform. They don't have the talent to do real art so they try and do non-art and force everyone else to try and accept it as real art.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Quote Originally Posted by His Frogness
    When I read Harold Pinter or listen to John Cage I walk away with the feeling that they've made a mockery of artform. They don't have the talent to do real art so they try and do non-art and force everyone else to try and accept it as real art.
    I don't know Michael - Pinter did some truly remarkable things - but this was many years ago.

But.............what quantifiable criteria should be used to distinguish good art from bad?
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    But.............what quantifiable criteria should be used to distinguish good art from bad?
    Well. Nigel had some good points. And I understand the context in which Pinter was writing. That poem about death was horrible, though. And I don't mean that the content was horrible. I mean that the poem itself is absolutely horrible. Did I mention that?
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Go Back to forum