• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: Symphonic Choirs sings Britten's Evening Primrose

Share/Bookmark

Symphonic Choirs sings Britten's Evening Primrose

My wife, a singer, thought I was crazy to attempt a sampled rendition of Britten’s "The Evening Primrose."

But I think it’s turned out quite well, and so I wanted to share it. It uses EastWest's Symphonic Choir with a small amount of Wizooverb's W2.

The words of the piece are very poetic and difficult to understand even with a “real” choir. So I’ve provided the text for reference:

When once the sun sinks in the west,
    And dewdrops pearl the evening's breast;
    Almost as pale as moonbeams are,
    Or its companionable star,
    The evening primrose opes anew
    Its delicate blossoms to the dew;
    And, hermit-like, shunning the light,
    Wastes its fair bloom upon the night,
    Who, blindfold to its fond caresses,
    Knows not the beauty it possesses;
    Thus it blooms on while night is by;
    When day looks out with open eye,
    Bashed at the gaze it cannot shun,
    It faints and withers and is gone.

I would be very interested in your reactions to my performance. What works? What could be better?

I hope you enjoy Britten's lovely and touching work as much as I do.

Thanks for listening.

Best,
    Jay

www.Members.aol.com/jbacal/music/Primrose.mp3

Re: Symphonic Choirs sings Britten's Evening Primrose

I don't particularly care for the piece of music, but it is an impressive example of QLSC flexibility and realism.

Next time I need to write choral music, I know what to buy!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Is this EW symphonic choirs? 100% samples? You're kidding right?

If I wasn't so used to hearing the Symphonic Choir's transition sound then I would have trouble believing it too.

There's a volume dip around :10 that sounds odd, but other than that, wow.

I think this would easily fool the average person. Excellent work, IMO.

Thumbs up Re: Symphonic Choirs sings Britten's Evening Primrose

Very good Jay.
    O think that all is in the right way!

Congrats on this piece!

Best,
    Roberto

No way that's real...seriously, wow, that's impressive, very well done.

Very nice! You did a great job! How long did this take to do?

- Mike Greene

Quote Originally Posted by JBacal

I would be very interested in your reactions to my performance. What works? What could be better?

Best,
    Jay

www.Members.aol.com/jbacal/music/Primrose.mp3
    Excellent work Jay. Shockingly good in fact. This has opened my eyes to what is possible right now.
    If you want some nit-picking, some of it sounds a bit sibilant, as I am sure you already know good choirs do try to minimise the esses a bit, and some of the plosives, p's and d's are a tad heavy.
    But I am having to work really hard to nit-pick and find fault.Fact is , this is superb work. Congratulations.
    regards

jay - i ran across this and clicked on it without seeing it was you. i about fell out of my chair when i heard it. i know your work from the vsl forum but this is simply astounding in what you've put into this. please tell your wife that she misjudged (just in this instance - she picked you didn't she?!). it is the perfect piece to show how far sample technology has come, and quite frankly from a personal persective, i did not know this piece after some experience with choirs. not since i heard stanford's Bluebird have i been this moved. very little surprises me and this is god speaking through humanity.

the only real limitations i hear are from the sample library which obviously isn't there yet. i don't think anyone's is going to get there (including vsl - my god they're putting out an organ) unless a real choral director oversees the project (at least spectrasonics was bright enough to bring in peter hallock even if he didn't oversee it). there are problems with the vocal performance, especially as applicable to what britten might have intended, but i would be curious to hear this with a bit more reverb to caress your fine work, and perhaps a longer ritard at the end to paint the words depending how different acoustics define it. the english university chapels offer considerable space and air where it seems performance might have been intended (not knowing this piece though i might admittedly be off base). Believe me when i say that having conducted britten's work on several occasions and appreciating what a bitch it can be, this is truely extraordinary. anybody can get the notes but you succeeded masterfully at getting the music!

ps - misphase, when i was first presented with the ceremony of carols, i told my mentor i just didn't like britten. she gave me a wry smile and said, "keep your ears open; he grows on you." you might never grow to like him, but if you do it really is one of the better tasting crow sandwiches on the menu. nothing against your opinion which you're obviously entitled to (and certainly nothing against your work which i know and admire).

That is really stunning: well done. My only comment is that I'd ideally like more individuality from the sections of the "choir", i.e. when a solo voice suddenly "appears and disappears" (for no reason at all) yet gives the impression of a more authentic touch. But how can you actually "do" this with something which is, essentially, a computer making music completely baffles me.

I agree with Martin about (perhaps) a touch more reverb would help. Also the comment he makes about Stanford's "Bluebird" is relevant: it would be a perfect piece for your talents...

Well done, once again!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast