• Register
  • Help

Topic: my stupid question for today - how to get a trombone vibrato?

Share/Bookmark

my stupid question for today - how to get a trombone vibrato?

Hi there,

having asked some pretty basic questions yesterday & the day before, I think this one is even more basic!

I'm just trying to program a vibrato to a long trombone note in cubase. I'm using the tenor trombone Plr1 patch. For starters I can't even work out whether this trombone should even have a vibrato or whether you need to get around it via the hidden CC17 vibrato control....but either way, I can't seem to get anything regardless of which midi cc's I'm using

help pls!

cheers

V

Re: my stupid question for today - how to get a trombone vibrato?

CC#17 for speed and CC#131 for intensity. If CC#17=0 or CC#131=0, you won't get much vibrato, I suspect (in case you forgot to set CC#131>0).

There is no CC#131 (that's simply a way to get Aftertouch on non-aftertouch capable midi controllers like M-Audio's Radium.)

Nickie is referring to Aftertouch.

thanks for the replies folks - I still don't seem to be getting this working properly though....

it's possible I'm doing something wrong with the automation in cubase.

I've got the two controller lanes up for CC17 & aftertouch. I'm just working on one section where I have 4 consecutive notes. The odd thing is I seem to be getting some vibrato on one or two of the notes & am able to vary the speed for those notes.

The strange thing is the value (between 0 & 127) which triggers the vibrato seems to be varying & limited to either just one value or a very small range. ie the first time it was working if I gave the 2nd note in the sequence an aftertouch value of 113 - the first note was something like 120 but there was no vibrato here.

Then I made all the notes aftertouch = 113 but again no vibrato

Then I seemed to find a vibrato for the 2nd note when I made aftertouch around 93 but again nothing for the first note

I must be doing something silly here - any ideas what the problem may be?

cheers

V

Tom Hopkins put up a sticky a while back.
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=36460
    I don't know if it addresses all your problems or not. It does clarify which instr. get vibrato, though.
    Looks like Tenor Solos are the only ones. ?

Quote Originally Posted by squoze
    Tom Hopkins put up a sticky a while back.
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=36460
    I don't know if it addresses all your problems or not. It does clarify which instr. get vibrato, though.
    Looks like Tenor Solos are the only ones. ?
    Sorry, just noticed this thread or I would have pointed that out earlier. This is correct, vibrato is only active in the solo instruments listed. You can, however, do vibrato in the trombone "plr" instruments using pitchbend if you have the patience to draw it into your tracks. I would just use the solo instruments when vibrato is needed. This capability will probably be expanded to include the "plr" instruments in a future update (for instruments that do not have recorded vibrato, that is.)

Tom

Go Back to forum