• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Bye-bye to websites that share song chords and lyrics?

Share/Bookmark

Bye-bye to websites that share song chords and lyrics?

Re: Bye-bye to websites that share song chords and lyrics?

So now if there's a song I like and all I know are a few of the lyrics, I won't be able to search google and find out the name of the song so I can buy it?

I guess I could still use a dedicated song search engine if need be (like those things at music stores). Not as nice as using google though .

Stupid...
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Thumbs down Re: Bye-bye to websites that share song chords and lyrics?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogles
    So now if there's a song I like and all I know are a few of the lyrics, I won't be able to search google and find out the name of the song so I can buy it?
    I really bought tons of CD`s searching at google like you said.
    The songs I`ve heard on the radio when I lived in the US and was in
    Kindergarden or Elementry School, but don`t know the name of the song
    but remember some parts of the lyrics. I go to google and search them
    and had great results.
    Too bad were not going to be able to do this anymore

The link is experiencing 'technical difficulties.' Too many hits? This truly is a blow to the local bar bands and single acts who want to get the lyrics correct. Well, they'll just have to go the the local music store and memorize the sheet music like we had to...

But a perfect example of how the music industry bean counters can step on their private parts yet again. Of course the sites could just move to another country...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

If the people who make the sheet music would do a better job of transcribing the actual musci I would be happy to pay for it. But they don't , they put a ~~~~ty product that is basically useless.

Perhaps this will encourage them to try harder. I don't really think that they can win this one. If I figure out a song and put it on the internet to share with people I think they artist should be flattered that I even took the time to keep there work alive.

I'm a keyboard player and for a long time I wanted to play "Barrellhouse Shakedown" by ELP and could never really hear it correctly, I got some of it right but other parts were beyond my capabilities. A few years ago I looked on the internet and found some sites with people that had tried to figure it out as well. Long story short is that this helped me finally figure it out and now It's one of my favorite songs to play just for fun. (It''s from the Works Volume 2 CD)

Nowhere on planet earth was this sheet music ever available. The internet is great for stuff like this. I did not have to pay anything for the sheet music and the site on the other end did not receive anything.

what the hell is wrong with that.

I think Keith Emerson should be happy not pissed that someone is still playing his music.

IF YOU DIDN'T WANT ME TO GET THE MUSIC THIS WAY YOU SHOULD HAVE PUBLISHED A GOOD CLEAN ACCURATE COPY OF IT. I WOULD HAVE BEEN HAPPY TO PAY FOR IT.

giga...

Another shortsighted, protectionist, fun-killer move......

....they shut down the people who had the good idea but offer no sensible alternative.

Now we'll have to wait for iLyrics I suppose!!

Nigel

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

If it were your song, and you were trying hard to maximize your earnings, and you had a sheet music publisher who was basically dying on the vine because people were giving away your property for free, would you feel the same way?

I have mixed feelings about it, too. But how does one go about securing earnings on intellectual property that is rightfully yours? Say you have released absolutely perfect sheet-music transcriptions of your hit song, and you're selling none of those, and very IMperfect internet transcriptions are eating away at your profits. Suppose you paid a whole LOT of money to make sure your fans had good sheet music, and you're losing your shirt on it?

I think one must always put this into the perspective of his own property, and then weigh the argument.

What gives a cover band the inherent right to a free transcription? And if said cover band is earning $4000 per gig at swanky weddings, is a few bucks for a piece of sheet music to add a song to the list really an onerous burden?

All I'm saying is that it's very easy to attack these RIAA/MPAA efforts. What is your proposed solution to their problem, though? How do you propose they act to protect the rights of creators?

Must be a blue moon - Bruce and I agree 100% on this issue.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hahaha........

Go Back to forum