• Register
  • Help

Topic: EWQLSO:Kompakt vs. Kontakt

Share/Bookmark

EWQLSO:Kompakt vs. Kontakt

For quite a while I've used Kontakt instead of the supplied Kompakt to host the various instruments of the EWQLSO across 4 slave computers controlled by one master computer using FX Teleport, for the following reasons:

1-It will hold 16 separate 'instruments', which means 5 instruments in the EW library (5 x 3 mic positions = 15). Kompakt only has 8 spaces so you can only load 2 full instruments (why they didn't make it 9!) This means you don't have to load as many instances of Kontakt as you would Kompakt for the same number of instruments you want to load in your song.

2- You can reduce the number of outputs in Kontakt to just one stereo pair, which shows up in your sequencer mixer. In Kompakt, apparently there is no way to do this, or so I've been told (if anyone does know, I'd appreciate a reply) so you have 8 stereo outputs per instance of Kompakt. This adds up to an incredible number of outputs in your mixer, which I can't seem to delete.

The problem that I've been having with using Kontakt (Kompakt doesn't suffer from this) is this: when I load several instances of Kontakt on the first slave machine, all of the sounds play fine. As soon as I go to another slave and load some sounds in other instances of Kontakt through FX teleport, the sounds on the first slave don't play properly. They cut out after about 1 second and then the release part of the sample plays when I lift the key. The only way to solve the problem is to re-load all of the instruments (or multis) on every machine which is very time consuming.

Either I have to figure out why Kontakt is doing this, or I have to figure out a way of reducing the number of outputs in Kompakt.

Is anyone else had this problem and do you know of any solutions?
    Thanks, Garehead.

Asus P4C800 Deluxe MB
    3.2 GHz Proc., 4GB Ram
    RME HDSP w/Digiface
    Nuendo 2, Cubase SX
    4 slave computers.

Re: EWQLSO:Kompakt vs. Kontakt

I dont know much of anything about Kontakt but I do know that you can assign all eight midi channels per instance of Kompact to any pair of the eight stereo output channels including piling them all up on one pair if you want and then just hide the other outputs in your sequencer mixer. Hope this helps.

Eric

I don't see how that could have anything to do with Kontakt. It sounds like a MIDI issue with FX Teleport, possibly related to bandwidth. Do you have the same problem using two Kompakts on the first machine (i.e. 16 channels)?

Thanks for the replies and sorry it took a while to reply, I'm just starting a series.

Thanks Eric, I had forgotten about the 'hide channel' function in the mixers of Cubase and Nuendo, which does solve that issue. NI says there's a new version of Kompakt coming out which will solve that issue. I requested they put more channel in as well so you can load more instruments into one instance.

Nick, like I said, Kompakt doesn't suffer from the problem I'm having with Kontakt. I can load as many as I want across the 4 slaves and the sounds play fine no matter how I load them. The problem is I have a lot of instruments to load across 4 slaves and that adds up to a lot of instances of Kompakt compared to Kontakt. You also have more editing capabilities in Kontakt so it would be nice to have that working. I'm just wondering if there is a setting in Kontakt that will solve this issue.
    Thanks, Garehead.

Asus P4C800 Deluxe MB
    3.2 GHz Proc., 4GB Ram
    RME HDSP w/Digiface
    Nuendo 2, Cubase SX
    4 slave computers.

OK, just in case anyone cares, Version 2 of Kontakt has solved the problem. Don't what the difference is, but all the sounds play fine across all slaves and I don't have to re-load anything!!!

Definitely happy about this.
    Thanks, Garehead.

Asus P4C800 Deluxe MB
    3.2 GHz Proc., 4GB Ram
    RME HDSP w/Digiface
    Nuendo 2, Cubase SX
    4 slave computers.

Go Back to forum