• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: My music theory professor owes me a donut!

Share/Bookmark

Talking My music theory professor owes me a donut!

So, in my music theory 3 class, instead of having a final exam, our professor gave us a final project. Everyone in the class has to compose a "Bach-like" two part invention. Needless to say, this scared the crap out off entire class. Anyways, I composed mine and turned in the draft. He told the class (sorta jokingly) that he would give a donut to the student with the best composition. Today he passed them back (all marked up) and told me that he owed me a donut! So I'm happy. And the sad/slightly ironic thing about it is that I'm the only person in the class who isn't a music major (I am, sadly, only a minor). I'll post up my revised composition in the demo's section later tonight when I get home. Now if only I win my hockey game and it actually snows like predicted (I KNOW, pushing it a little...) it'll be a perfect day.
    Tim

Re: My music theory professor owes me a donut!

It's snowing hard in Chicago now. I'll try to redirect it towards you.

Congrats! Those music majors . . . whatta they know? I look forward to hearing your piece!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Question Re: My music theory professor owes me a donut!

Tim. Just curious here. Did you submit an audio with your manuscript? I'm wondering if anyone attending such courses ever think to submit a recording of their composition using GPO or is it not exceptable?
    Curious.
    Styxx

Thanks Sean!

And Styxx, actually I did submit audio with it. Just the output from Overture using the GPO piano. I uploaded it to my webspace and wrote the address on my paper when I turned it in. I forgot to ask him if he listened to it or not though. But ever one that has listened to it loved it. Now all I have to do is get the revised version up. I'm going to try to learn the piece well enough that I can play it into my sequencer before I have to turn in the final on tuesday...
    Tim

Tim

All of my music professors strenuously argued that I wasn't a music major, either.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

After my school experience, I admit I have a rather dark outlook on music professors (especially composition professors). I found the lot to be cynical and (although they would never admit it) extremely extremely extremely jealous of successful professional artists. My particular professor couldn't stand the very name "Andrew Lloyd Weber."

Composition professors are very knowledgeable, don't get me wrong, and mine exposed me to a lot of ideas I'd never have discovered on my own. Still, I think they tout "academic music" with a bit too much zeal. I mean, seriously, can they actually like that stuff? I'm all for a little atonality or even 12-tone for effect to cultivate a certain mood... but an entire work built this way? Nononononono.....

I actually had a sit-down discussion with Samuel Adler (a rather famous composition professor who has written one of the main orchestration books used by schools today), and the one thing that stayed with me after the conversation was his reference to music I like to listen to and write as "peasant music." Oddly enough, I wasn't offended by the term... I was rather strongly amused. I kept thinking, "And yet, it is the 'peasants' that will remember (or not remember) your music long after you're dead. It is the 'peasants' who will decide whether or not to pay for your album and decide on your popularity. It is the 'peasants' who truly move this world."

Ah well, Sam Adler is a great guy with a lot of wisdom. I truly have a lot of respect for the man. But still, I feel he may be misguided. But then, what do I know? I'm only a third his age and haven't witnessed nearly so much as he.
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator
    http://FosterPayne.com/default.aspx

Ah, Sam's not such a bad fellow.

A couple of days without a shower and a shave would probably fix him right up.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hmmmmm . . . very interesting . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum