• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: How important is 24bit in Sample Librarys?

Share/Bookmark

How important is 24bit in Sample Librarys?

Do you say:

1.) I need 24bit 96khz in samples, or

2.) I don't care, 24bit is nice to have, but 16bit is fine too, or

3.) I prefer 16bit 44,1khz because it needs less computer power and my recording system is 16bit anyway.

Would be interesting to see your opinion on this for future sample library developments.
    Thanks,

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

Re: How important is 24bit in Sample Librarys?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hein
    Do you say:

1.) I need 24bit 96khz in samples, or

2.) I don't care, 24bit is nice to have, but 16bit is fine too, or

3.) I prefer 16bit 44,1khz because it needs less computer power and my recording system is 16bit anyway.
    Door # 3 anyday. I'd buy in 24 bit ad convert w/GS edit, that way I'd have it for when computers are good enough to do 400 voices at that bitrate, but could use it in the meantime.

However, 24 is fine in smaller ensemble or pop settings.

MHO,

Belbin

#2 for me. IMHO.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

I go with 24/44.1, but given the choice between a great 16-bit library and a so-so 24-bit lib, I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over choosing 16-bits.

-JF

I'm between #2 and #3. I record at 24bit, but with my sample libraries, I'm really tired of simple patches eating up a ton of ram.

- Mike Greene

Same here, with all the mixing, processing, additional reverb and eq and on and on it's really hard to tell the difference.

Until machines become more powerful, I think the whole 24/96 thing is mostly a marketing device.

A library like VSL which is several hundred gigs in size would more than double if it went 24/96, I guess hard drive space would be an issue as well.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

I've been in situations already where, with the amount of processing of soundfiles i'm doing (pop & modern dance accompaniment), i can hear the loss of tonality and definition that occurs with 16 bit vs. 24 bit samples. But i'm always working to a CD output, so put me in category "4", which i'm surprised you didn't include:

4) I want 24 bit, 44.1KHz samples.
    (a la Jon F.)

I say that because 88.2 KHz does indeed chew up a little too much ram/cpu to be practical for me at this point, and 96KHz doesn't make much sense if my output is going to be 16/44.1. But i want the bit depth there to maintain clarity throughout processing until the final printdown.

24 bit. 44.1 MHz.
    To my ears, the extra bit depth is what carries the "fairy dust".
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    24 bit. 44.1 MHz.
    To my ears, the extra bit depth is what carries the "fairy dust".
    regards
    And if you're doing productions where that extra quality is actually intact it's worth having. But most of the time the samples are: buried in other things, or squashed down to 16-bit in the end. So I'm basically with Midphase, with a few exceptions where the final product is still sort of in an audiophile realm.

(o/t- I kills me when people worry so much about pristine 24/96 recording gear and promptly plug in a Marshall amp complete with ground loop and record it with an SM57, master through a limiter that kills every hint of a dynamic and put it on a 44.1 cd. All of which is cool, it's just ironic to me.)

Number 3 for me.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Go Back to forum