• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: December 8, 1980.

Share/Bookmark

December 8, 1980.

John Lennon's life was deliberately taken from the world and music.
    "The murder of John Lennon is not an easy subject for many of us to discuss, especially those of us Beatles fans who were alive on the night of the murder and remember all too well what it meant... not just to John's family and the world of music, but the world at large. Everything we knew seemed to change that horrible night …" unknown.
    I was unable to get my tribute up last night. Hopefully later.
    Styxx

Re: December 8, 1980.

Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I heard about it the next morning from a friend of mine in high school. I still haven't gotten over it.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

I of course wasn't alive at the time, but that doesn't stop one from understanding at least some of the significance of what happened.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

It was a Tuesday morning (the 9th, John was killed Monday the 8th) and I got up to get ready for school. My mom was crying, my dad has his arm around her and was red-eyed. They told me and I knew from their reaction that something terrible had happened. I had just turned six. A few months later I bought a poster of John that said John Lennon: 1940-1980.

Remember that Coward Cosell broke the news on Monday Night Football???

Here is a cool site on John Lennon.
    http://www.joanandstevesjubilantukjo...ks/lennon1.htm
    Styxx

The life and death of John Lennon affected many people in so many ways.

There is no greater tribute to him than the fact that his words, music and deeds are still affecting people 25 years later.

Peace.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

A tragedy, all the more ironic in light of his HUGE comeback with Double Fantasy.

It became very popular to wear a black arm band in those weeks.

I was 19 or 20 at the time...

I recall the sense of awe I felt attending the ten minutes of silence at Central Park near The Dakota. Thousands of people craming West Drive between Strawberry Fields and The Lake. Absolute stillness, perfect silence among a crowd of thousands. I've never experienced anything like it since.

He was still growing as a person. I'm not sure if he had quite made peace with his demons. It was a shame he never got a chance to see it through.

Living near Central Park, I will be attending a vigil this evening at Strawberry Fields, which is a memorial sight in the Park across the street from the Dakotas Apartments.

RIP

Unhappy Re: December 8, 1980.

Go Back to forum