• Register
  • Help

Topic: LPC guitar - got it - now what?

Share/Bookmark

LPC guitar - got it - now what?

Ok, I just got this huge library, and quite frankly I have no clue where to start. I guess this is what some people feel when looking at the articulations available for VSL...

Ok, first of all. The legato patches, what are they called? Secondly, do any of you have some tips on what the essential articulations are, what I need to check out? In general just some tips on how to approach this monster.

Thanks

Re: LPC guitar - got it - now what?

Hi Marcussen,
    yours is the same reaction I had after having installed the DVDs and looked at the incredible number of articulations of this huge library...I'm still studying it nowadays, so I can be of modest help.

But, a very quick start I'd suggest is: in the "Basic Set" folder you'll find a program called "Player's instrument". It's the "bread and butter" program to try via keyswitching the most used articulations.

After that, you'll want to dig deeper into LPC and you'll soon discover the "optimized" programs. These are simplified versions of the full programs (which have been sampled note by note on each string, with individual strings accessible by keyswitching, and which I don't understand fully how to handle), and are playable like you'd play a sampled guitar patch on a synth.

There are also the new 5th dyad chords programs (which you'll find in the update pack downloadable from the LPC site) with palm mutes that respond to velocity and are very fun to play. Then you'll soon realize that for many programs you'll need an expression pedal to trigger the up/down strokes...

But we're just scratching the surface here. I really hope Akihito will release some tutorials (with midi files) to help us realize the full potential of this astounding library.

My 2 cents
    Claudio Tassitano
    Samplemodeling.com webmaster
    --
    http://www.soundwavers.com

I know what you mean. I've used VSL Horizon Overdrive before, and I thought that one was a little confusing. I finally figured that one out now, and now I got this. I don't know much other advise other than go through each patch and make a note of what-it-is/sounds-like while referencing the book as well. That's what I'm doing now at least, though I'm still trying to extract one of the archives that's not working for me.

I am working my way through this too. I think I am starting to understand some of what is available.

It seems a huge amount of programming of some esoteric (at least to me) type of keyswitches/mapping has been included, but some bread and butter programming might be helpful. For example, (at least in Kontatk 2) there should be a multi that allows real time switching between palm mutes and full chords (with release and pick sound) for all chords. This should be designed for composing most bread and butter rhythm guitar parts.

Knowing Akihito, I expect these things will continue to be worked on.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

The sheer number of articulations in the LPC can be overwhelming, but it's really not that bad. Like N-Joy said, just use the optimized patches for now. You'll see that most of the other patches are subsets of the full patches, but just for one string.

So, for say a single note tight mute sound you'll have a seperate patch for each string, that way if you only used that sound for a couple of notes in a song you can load a much smaller patch with only one string instead of the entire fretboard. Then there'll be a full patch that'll have each of the single string patches in one, which you can switch via keyswitch. And then you'll have the optimized patch, which works just like a 'regular' guitar patch that we're used to, without keyswitching. Start with the optimized patches and then try out the full patches later on.

Once you get the hang of how it was recorded it really is an amazing instrument!

Quote Originally Posted by clonewar
    The sheer number of articulations in the LPC can be overwhelming, but it's really not that bad. Like N-Joy said, just use the optimized patches for now. You'll see that most of the other patches are subsets of the full patches, but just for one string.

So, for say a single note tight mute sound you'll have a seperate patch for each string, that way if you only used that sound for a couple of notes in a song you can load a much smaller patch with only one string instead of the entire fretboard. Then there'll be a full patch that'll have each of the single string patches in one, which you can switch via keyswitch. And then you'll have the optimized patch, which works just like a 'regular' guitar patch that we're used to, without keyswitching. Start with the optimized patches and then try out the full patches later on.

Once you get the hang of how it was recorded it really is an amazing instrument!
    I think the other benefit of the single string is it allows you to play higher on the string than the optomized settings permit.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffn1
    I think the other benefit of the single string is it allows you to play higher on the strong than the optomized settings permit.

jeffn1
    Absolutely.. playing a low A on the 5th fret of the 6th string is the same note as playing an open 5th string, but it has a slightly different sound.

Quote Originally Posted by N-Joy
    But we're just scratching the surface here. I really hope Akihito will release some tutorials (with midi files) to help us realize the full potential of this astounding library.
    Yes, midi files tutorial will blow this guitar library out of the water!

Go Back to forum