• Register
  • Help

Topic: My Cubase Tuition ... Hints, tips, advice welcome.

Share/Bookmark

Smile My Cubase Tuition ... Hints, tips, advice welcome.

Well .. I've booked a half-day (3 hour) one-to-one private tuition on Cubase this coming Thursday afternoon. I have booked with a professional in London which means over a three hour train ride each way. I shall leave around 9:00 in the morning and should arrive home around 11:00 at night.

The focus will be on importing a MIDI file, blancing, mixing, adding ambience and reverb and mastering to an audio file ready for CD. It will be essentially a practical session for which I have prepared a few MIDI files of my own to work on.

I have used Finale exclusively (presently 2006a) but I have to candidly admit that despite being fluent with Finale I have failed to achieve the quality of the finished recording heard in the samples provided by the talented people here. Soooo .. I am now going to try an external solution. I can only write in the 'traditional' way .. notes on manuscript, I cannot write any other way. So I shall go on writing in my way using Finale and I hope .. so badly .. that I can discover how to see my work through to a good quality recording and to be able to even remotely aspire to the recording standards of you talented people whom I envy in this respect.

I would greatly value any hints, tips, tricks and advice for a beginner in sequencing that anyone can give me to take with me to my tuition. Also, do you think a three hour one-to-one private session is a reasonable springboard into the software .. or will it take much more than this? My last question. Once I can use one sequencer, is it reasonable to expect to be able to cross over to a different one .. much the same as being able to drive most cars once we can drive one car (once we've checked the gear lever, hand brake and switches) .. or is it a whole new learning curve moving from one sequencer to another .. such as from Cubase to Sonar.

Lastly .. please wish me luck ......
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: My Cubase Tuition ... Hints, tips, advice welcome.

Will your tutor have GPO or JABB installed on the PC that you will training on?

Quote Originally Posted by tmonaghan
    Will your tutor have GPO or JABB installed on the PC that you will training on?
    I don't think so. I did mention GPO and he didn't confirm he had it as I recall.
    Michael

Smile Re: My Cubase Tuition ... Hints, tips, advice welcome.

I don't think you need him to cover GPO. There are plenty of high quality tutorials here to do the job. I first recommend the two tutorials by ZeroZero on using GPO in SX. It is the best for GPO/SX I've read.

Next, there is an excellent tutorial on how to build string ensembles. Follow it and learn, then apply it to a simple tune to practice.

There are lots more great tutorials, but I'll leave it at that for now. This would be good reading for the train.

Good luck!

-LFO
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Many thanks for your replies.

I'm fine with using GPO. I've used it for a while now in Finale and have created my MIDI files through Finale. My tuition is scheduled to cover working on my MIDI files; mixing, balancing, adding ambience/reverb and setting this up as an audio file ready for burning.

I do understand that many people feel that for full realism the instrumental parts need to be played into the sequencer live and a MIDI file created this way. I've always worked with scores and so prefer to work through notation. I just need to know how to process the resultant MIDI files in a sequencer such as Cubase.

Perhaps the result will be no better than what I'm getting direct through Finale's save as audio file .. I hope it will be because as it stands I'm not too impressed with the result .. albeit that we are still waiting for ambience in Finale.
    Michael

If you really want to learn the ins and outs of Cubase SX-3, I suggest you go to http://www.auxbuss.com/ and get the video from Bas, which is something like 10 hours of instruction that you can play over and over until you understand it. It's called Cubase SX-3 Unleashed and is 25 Epounds for the CD or 34 Epounds for the CD and a year's worth of online downloads.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomcatII
    If you really want to learn the ins and outs of Cubase SX-3, I suggest you go to http://www.auxbuss.com/ and get the video from Bas, which is something like 10 hours of instruction that you can play over and over until you understand it. It's called Cubase SX-3 Unleashed and is 25 Epounds for the CD or 34 Epounds for the CD and a year's worth of online downloads.

Tom
    Tom, thanks for the tips.....great stuff isn't it.

Frank

I personally think Bas is one of the nicest and most knowledgeable people in the entire Cubase network. He has willingly answered every question I have ever asked him and he knows a LOT!

Tom

Hi
    If you want to know Cubase then I strongly recommend going to 'TonyB' He lives in Potters Bar North of London and has used Cubase for a living every day since Atari - there is no one that knows more (even Bas). Find him on the Cubase forum. He is very reasonable on fees too.

Zero
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Is there a problem with this forum Gary? I wrote a post extolling Steve/Zerozero's excellent tutorial which I printed off and used and recommended then gave a link to PrintPunk.com

Now it's disappeared. Is the 'Gary Grinch' in action again as a similar problem occurred only a couple of days ago. Perhaps there's something more fundamentally wrong with the workings of the site as I noticed that I had to log on once or twice during the writing of the post which didn't used to happen?? I suspect these incidents are linked.

I'd be glad if someone could help. Last time you said that my post had mysteriously moved to another thread......how queer.........

Frank

Go Back to forum