• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Rap? ? ? ?

Share/Bookmark

Question Rap? ? ? ?

Anyone know where I can find "Rap" music of today in notational form? Something popular? Weird, huh? We're having a wild discussion that Rap is never written in notational form just done whenever, however. No notes!
    Thanks in advance.
    Styxx

Re: Rap? ? ? ?

I would be REALLY surprised to find rap beats or productions notated, and if they existed, it would be something done after the fact. But for what purpose, I don't know. Not exactly useful as a piano reduction, could you imagine?? Little Billy sits down after Christmas dinner to play some music for the entertainment of his Grandparents, and starts bustin' out 50 Cent rhymes to immaculately played piano articulations. I said, Yeeeea, G-ma! Word, G-pa.

As far as I'm aware, 'beats' are fleshed out from looped snippets, add drum machine, fx, and synth leads ... what have you. I think all music would be extemporized and done straight to sampler/sequencer.

If you find anything... wow, that will be a real novelty!

I would think if you found any it would be as a transcription only.

Rap can be notated on paper targets at the shooting range...

Aight!

Quote Originally Posted by dynamix
    Rap can be notated on paper targets at the shooting range...

Aight!
    The best analogy yet.
    Thanks for all your input people. The question started when a young man was learning how math and music go together. How notes are broken down into subdivisions. The young mans response to the lesson was, "that's wrong! That's not how it's done in Rap! You wrong and it just comes no one writes it down!"
    Shall I go on?
    Styxx

And yet...

Rap can also be notated on music industry accountant's ledger sheets.

The execs sing along. Catching!!! Catching!!! Catching!!!

They toss the talent some 'bling' for the trouble.

When the dust settles, its back to the streets for the talent, while the company gets sold to Time Warner and the owners walk away... REALLY RICH!

When I was a kid learning trumpet, there were rythmic exercises given us that were all the same middle G note (requires no fingering, hence fewer distractions to the point of the exercise). The point wasn't melody, but to improve our understanding of the value of a sixteenth note, etc.

Since rap is rythmic and non melodic by definition, the vocal lines could be expressed in this manner, using any arbitrary note on the staff.

Of course, the kid is right in terms of how a rap is created, but it nonetheless has a representation in musical notation, which I have no doubt is what was being taught.

If I divide an apple into four equal portions, they're quarters. The math doesn't cease to exist just because I didn't write it down.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I didn't know rap was music!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I didn't know rap was music!
    Rap itself is poetry, but is typically delivered over a musical bed. Even so, if you wanted to get really technical, the vocal inflections of the rapper are in fact melodic. Stick a chromatic tuner in front of one and you'll see that there are multiple notes happening.

It's not a style that I personally enjoy, and I don't care for the way that much of the "gangsta rap" promotes killers and other violent people as heroes and role models. It is, nonetheless, an art form and deserves to be respected as such. What a dismal planet this would become if the only art allowed was what I personally enjoyed.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum