• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aliasing and Sonar 4

Share/Bookmark

Aliasing and Sonar 4

Please excuse my wordiness.

I am a long time owner/user of GOS and GPO but, because of my work as a psychiatrist, have only recently been able to begin to attempt to use them productively.

I am in the process of finishing up my dentry to the Orchestral Challenge 5 and am having difficulty with aliasing leading to a nasty distortion in several instruments.

I have a pentium 4 3.0 ghz box running Windows XP pro. 2 gig of memory
    I have two echo sound cards - Layla 3G and Gina 24 daisy chained with the Layla as the master.

I am running the ASIO drivers in Sonar 4 and have a tmeplate loaded with 6 instances of GPO VST. Challenge 5 is a modestly thick orchestration. There have been few problems with the exception that I am getting a lot of distortion of the sound of Trumpet 1. Especially noticeable on long held notes. There are no other instruments in unison with the trumpet and the distortion is noticeable to a much lesser extent in other instruments.

Sonar is set for 24 bit audio there areno conflicting settings with the sound cards that I can find.

Are there any obvious things that can cause aliasing in a set up like this?

Thanks

David Mauney

Re: Aliasing and Sonar 4

What precisely are you hearing that you are calling aliasing? Is it phasing problems, or perhaps distortion? Perhaps you could post a sample of the offending sound.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

David,

Do your level meters over peak when you play back your sequences? If they do, then you may want to start by modifying the relative volumes of each of your VST instances (or instrument tracks). It may be that your little trumpet is having trouble being heard over the rest of the orchestra...? Just a thought.

If you're not getting obvious drop-outs, then I would suggest it isn't a driver/resource problem.
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Thanks for your responses.

My levels overall seem to be good. I can get good balance between the various sections and instruments with no meter in the red. I have made adjustments at times to keep out of the red.

The sound that I'm worried about is a harsh grating almost bussing type of distortion on longe notes it's in the timbre (seems to be) and doesn't want to go away with changes in volume or eq. The reason I said aliaising is that it it sounds like the sound that results if you attempt unisons with the same sample.

It isn't nearly as much of a problem with trombones or strings(for example) and the worst offender seems to be the trumpets (I've tried using other trumpet samples and they all seem to give the same distortion.

Thanks again.

David M.

After looking through old posts, I tried looking at and turning up the latency slider. That has helped significantly and at least forthe moment has solvewd my problem.

Thanks

David

Go Back to forum