• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Opus for VI?

Share/Bookmark

Opus for VI?

Hi all!
    I went to my local music retail store today and asked for some prices on libs (and I also bought a Shure Beta 91..awesome mic IMO )...and after some phone calls and chit-chatting to suppliers, we found out that Vienna will release a VI version of the Opus series at the 15th of december. The guy at the swedish supplier of Vienna products also stated that this info is available on the Vienna homepage..something I can't seem to find? Am I missing something, or can someone please confirm or contradict these facts? I would be thrilled if it's true though
    The VI seems like an incredibly innovative tool, and an Opus version will hopefully be in my price range, which the Cube currently is not.

/Daniel

Re: Opus for VI?

I believe your retailer is misinformed. First of all no VIs will be available Dec 15. They begin rolling them out in January. Secondly it has been stated on the VSL forum there are no current plans to release a VI of the opus bundle at this time.

Yeah Herb clearly stated that no Opus VI is in the works.

Meaning .... it will show up next year just as most of us finished making the big upgrade to the cube.
    If it came out too soon it would cannibalize cube upgrades from existing pro edition owners who might find an Opus VI an attractive alternative to the high ticket cube.

But ewqlso version 3 (already hinted at) might make them have to come to market with it sooner.

Next year this same time we are going to have some great new options.

Quote Originally Posted by ed hamilton
    Meaning .... it will show up next year just as most of us finished making the big upgrade to the cube.
    With all due respect, I doubt it.

Pardon my complete ignorance, but couldn't someone with the knowhow and the Kontakt 2 version of Opus use some creative scripting and do just about everything VI does?

Just asking.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    Pardon my complete ignorance, but couldn't someone with the knowhow and the Kontakt 2 version of Opus use some creative scripting and do just about everything VI does?

Just asking.
    Ditto with channel stacking in GS...with the possible exception of the legato patches. I use a maximum of two tracks/midi channels per instrument/section in GS, thanks to a lot of work in the editor/stack properties views, and Opus 1 is what I'm doing it with, mostly.

I think that fact (that you can already do ALMOST everything the VI does-K2 or GS3) has been stated at least once at the VSL forum.

Belbin

Yeah, other threads in other forums have discussed how to replicate pretty much the entire set of features using the k2 scripting engine.

Somebody should get wise, create the scripts and sell them for a small fee.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

As in most innovations, people will reverse engineer and manage to get a similar product for less cost. However I think that in some ways we are all speculating, and will continue to do so until we have a product to play with. Mind you, I have to wonder that if K2 and GS can do so many of the things that the new VI can, why no other library has released scripts that achieve this with their products?

IMO there is probably a good portion that can be achieved, although maybe not as elegantly, but even just thinking about the re-programming of the repetions, there must be a huge amount of work involved.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    Mind you, I have to wonder that if K2 and GS can do so many of the things that the new VI can, why no other library has released scripts that achieve this with their products?
    There is no need to wonder, just look at the Kontakt2 documentation if you own it. The functionality is clearly defined in the scripting API.

I think the reason other libs haven't included it is because thats not the focus of their library. It appears the goal of the VSL VI is to allow a user, using only one midi channel, to play very expressive lines. There are upsides and downsides to attempting this. Personally, I like the idea, but I think there would be a ton of uproar if some of the existing libs just switched to this new method and abandoned the old.

Just my .02

Go Back to forum