• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB arrived - thank you!

Share/Bookmark

JABB arrived - thank you!

Over all JABB sounds very good. I like it.

While browsing content I think I found a couple of problems too.

The rhodes has a funny buzzing sound when notes are sustained.
    Strike a loud low-register chord and hold it, maybe press the sustain pedal and play some more notes. After a while a buzzing sound becomes pretty evident, and fades out slower than the notes. The buzz cuts off when you release the chord (or sustain pedal). Hmmm?

The other thing was that there were some kind of looping problems with a couple of samples
    - a high mid note in a flugelhorn had a click (at a loop point)
    - I think it was one of the trumpets that had different sounding sample (as if it as from a different trumpet).

However JABB was what I was hoping for! Respect!

Finally, maybe I need to tell you that I am not a pro (not by any standard!) so
    what I say should be read through a good quality "amateur says" -filter.

regards,
    edgehill
    Last edited by edgehill; 12-06-2005 at 03:22 AM. Reason: typos, typos
    edgehill@**REMOVETHIS**mbnet.fi
    DAW & other equipment! | Take a peek!

Re: JABB arrived - thank you!

The rhodes has a funny buzzing sound when notes are sustained.
    Strike a loud low-register chord and hold it, maybe press the sustain pedal and play some more notes. After a while a buzzing sound becomes pretty evident, and fades out slower than the notes. The buzz cuts off when you release the chord (or sustain pedal). Hmmm?
    I imagine this is a 'feature' of the sound of an amped Rhodes

Quote Originally Posted by edgehill
    The rhodes has a funny buzzing sound when notes are sustained. Strike a loud low-register chord and hold it, maybe press the sustain pedal and play some more notes. After a while a buzzing sound becomes pretty evident, and fades out slower than the notes. The buzz cuts off when you release the chord (or sustain pedal). Hmmm?
    Yup, welcome to the sound of a real Rhodes - noises and all! Vintage Rhodes are noisy beasts, as I can attest from having the instrument in my studio for several days during sampling. Actually, the Rhodes used here (once owned by Joe Sample, by the way) had much *more* buzz than is evident in this sampled instrument because steps were taken to reduce it some without altering the unique character of the instrument. The result is a very good emulation of this particular instrument, including the "razz" and "growl" of the lowest notes. If you want something cleaner than this I would recommend trying one of the many synth emulations found virtually everywhere. There are even a couple of fine synth plugins for free that can be found at places like KVR.

Quote Originally Posted by edgehill
    The other thing was that there were some kind of looping problems with a couple of samples
    - a high mid note in a flugelhorn had a click (at a loop point)
    - I think it was one of the trumpets that had different sounding sample (as if it as from a different trumpet).
    Thanks for the report but it would really help if you could give the instrument name (e.g. Flugelhorn 3) and identification of exact note or notes (e.g. G4, G#4, D#5.) That will improve the odds of my quickly finding what you are reporting.

Tom

The clicking came from Flugerhorn3, first D above bottom E.

Checked randomly a few notes in FH3 and noticed clicking also in bottom F.

Changed to FH1 and checked more
    1. Bottom octave.
    E & F clicked.
    F# and G were ok
    G# and A clicked
    A# does not click but starts with a clicky sound
    B clicks
    C, C# and D are ok
    D# clicks (first click takes a while but then clicks repeat pretty fast.)

2. Next octave
    E, F, F# clicks.
    G, G#, A ok
    A#, click plus some kind of resonance
    B, C click
    C# ok
    D click
    D#, E ok

I stopped testing here.

Tested using the standalone version, just by pressing and holding a note. The click is slight, not overpowering.Obvious none the less.

My DAW specs are in my signature. Checked the system, everything seems to be in sync so this should not be a clock issue etc. I am not saying that this isn't my system's fault but it seems it isn't.

Also, I am not trying to disturb peace, just reporting what I hear.

regards,
    edgehill
    edgehill@**REMOVETHIS**mbnet.fi
    DAW & other equipment! | Take a peek!

Go Back to forum