• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sound Production on a Harp

Share/Bookmark

Sound Production on a Harp

On a piano, there is an ideal striking point for the hammers, that being about 1/8 of the speaking length from a bearing point, which actually can be at either end of the string. For damping it is the same place. Is there a similar ideal point for harp strings? Or is there a broader range? Seems to me that since the sound production is similar, with the exception of the resonators, and fingers vs hammers, there ought to be a similarity in this matter. Any comments?

Post Re: Sound Production on a Harp

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    On a piano, there is an ideal striking point for the hammers, that being about 1/8 of the speaking length from a bearing point, which actually can be at either end of the string. For damping it is the same place. Is there a similar ideal point for harp strings? Or is there a broader range? Seems to me that since the sound production is similar, with the exception of the resonators, and fingers vs hammers, there ought to be a similarity in this matter. Any comments?
    Seems to me that the distance is at about 1/3 of the string on the harp, and that it isn't particularly critical, unless you pluck very close to the end for effect. I think the highest strings get plucked pretty close to the middle, while the lowest strings might be plucked a quarter of the string length from the end.

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Re: Sound Production on a Harp

On cello when I play pizz I would say it's about 1/3 the legnth. Sounds accurate. I move the 'pluck position' as the notes get higher or lower to keep it sounding good, which is at about 1/3. I never noticed that!

-Chris

Go Back to forum