• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do YOU work?

Share/Bookmark

How do YOU work?

Hi all,

JaBB is my introduction into the Garritan/Kontakt world, so I've been delving into many older posts/thread in other areas to gain some background into things. I've been extremely impressed with the quality of demos I've heard uploaded so soon after JaBBs introduction; I can hardly wait to hear what people can massage out it once they get into JaBB further.

For me, I'm at square one with the sample player side of it, but am very interested in working into it and getting more out of the the tracks I create. I guess my first question is what order people find most intuitive for their recording workflow? Do you just record basic notes & vol/mod data first? My (only) keyboard is an older Korg O1/W that has basic mod/pitch bend only. Do people prefer to record other cc data via additional pots etc. (thinking inexpensive little Oxygen controller), or draw it in on their sequencer? Do people have a set order that they prefer to work (ie: accents, fall offs, breathe noise, etc)?

Anyways, daunting as it is, I see a lot of fun & frustration awaiting me, but I am already enjoying and trying to take in as much as I can from the dialogue around here.

TIA
    Regards,
    Shane

Re: How do YOU work?

Nice to have you on the forum!
    I try to write most of my ideas on manuscript first but that not always happens. Mostly, sit at the piano and play until something starts to jive. Turn on the DAW and let it record whatever comes to me. However, time is the challenge that has kept me from really diving into composition. Whatever ...
    Welcome and don't forget to post your works here. It's a nice positive constructive and informative way of increasing your abilities and knowledge.
    Happy Holidays!
    Styxx

Being an old pencil and paper convert,. I work in a Finale 2006a notation program.

For a big band, I generally start with a 6 line sketch ( 2 each for reeds, brass and rhythm ) and do all my basic thinking there.
    Thgen I explode it out into a full score and tweak the voicings.

My current challenge is trying to get the JABB sounds and Kontakt players talking to my notation program.

Any ideas from Finale 2006 /JABB users will be appreciated.

Phil Kelly
    www.philkellymusic.com

Welcome to the forum! The most important thing to me is getting all the notes on the page. So I write everything out in Finale, and do only basic edits to the controller data. When everything is "written down," I save it as a MIDI file and import it into Digital Performer, which is where I do the majority of the MIDI programming. I like the graphic interface of being able to draw the information right into the track, and Finale's MIDI controller window is a bit too clinical even for me.

Being so new to JABB, and having written only one short demo, I don't have a definitive process, but what I did first was put in all the modulation, velocity, and legato data that I felt was necessary. Then I spruced up the line with other controllers like air, keyclicks, vibrato, pitch bend, etc... whichever made the line sound the best. But I had to limit myself, because after a while, I found myself playing with the same four measures over and over and over.

Hope that helped answer your question.

Thanks everyone for your input. To date, most of my sequence stuff has just been used for a 3 piece horn RnB type band and solely for notated part. But the idea of having a pretty realistic performance is starting to seem more doable. I'm just trying to get my head around it.

I kind of figured you'd get the basic note/velocity stuff in first and then add the other data in later, so it was nice to here that I had the right idea about that.

My next job is to go through the GPO tutorials to figure out how to get multiple instances of JaBB happening. This is starting to feel like learning an instrument

Hey Phil, would I have found you playing Tenor around WWU in the late 80's? I was there 86-88 to study with Chuck.
    Regards,
    Shane

Hi SF:

No - I'm older than dirt!

in the late '80s , I was still working in TV and film -and scoring with a pencil and scorepad!

( and just learning beginning sequencing on an old Atari with SMPTEtrak ..)

Quote Originally Posted by lonearrngr@comcast.n
    Hi SF:

No - I'm older than dirt!
    -but how does compared to lead pipe scum? (I'm sorry, knowing some horns that might be even older than dirt)

FYI, I didn't look at it until yesterday (I've slowly been going through all kinds of stuff in the GPO forum), but Tom's SONAR demo is great for all newbies like myself; it's a very detailed, step by step, tutorial that I will spend a bunch of time with as a guide.
    Regards,
    Shane

Go Back to forum