• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 1950's small function band jazz [JABB]

Share/Bookmark

1950's small function band jazz [JABB]

Here is my rendition of "Black and White Rag" written by George Botsford, arranged in 1951 by Geoff Love for a small "jazzie" function band:

Clarinet ~ Tenor Sax ~ Trumpet ~ Trombone ~ Piano ~ Bass ~ Drums

It is in the style of Trad/Dixieland jazz, but the fact that it is actually a written arrangement, and intended for "function bands" to play at dances means that it is a bit sanitised!

I'm not sure of the intended speed - it is marked "Moderato" but that really doesn't mean much in these sort of commercial arrangements. I have opted for a steadyish pace - any faster and i think that the figures would sound rushed.

Anyway, I decided to work on this demo this morning after finding a whole bunch of small band orchestrations whilst clearing out the garage last night - I realised that no-one had yet done a demo in this style with JABB, and thought it would be an interesting way to spend a Sunday morning.

www.stradjazz.com/BWrag.mp3
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: 1950's small function band jazz [JABB]

Rich, great job on this!

Like the mix a lot on this -- intimate, small room feel to it that's very authentic; but still a solid, realistic, and satisfying sound. And the nuancing on this, perfect.

I'll tell ya, this comes a cat's whisker from fooling me. Sure you weren't out in that garage last night with some of the boys... ?

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I say...good show, old chap! Your creation is a fun piece!

When I start to work with the GPO jazz and big band sample library, may I call upon you with "how-to" questions?

Thanks for your efforts.

Best regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Excellent work on this Richard. I actually think the tempo is quite lovely. Feels perfect to me. I too like the mix and the tailgate trombone is great!
    Enjoyable all the way round. Amazing what one finds in the garage!

Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Many thanks for your kind words, Guys.

Larry - I'll try to help where I can, but there is so much to learn with this library!
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Well done, Richard!

I'm really enjoying all of these JABB pieces.

Nice one Richard, great trombone rendering.You really captured the flavour just right with this one.
    regards

I used to play in a dixieland band and I can certainly say "You got it sounding right, man!"

Good job
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Richard ,,
    I LOVE THIS!

Dan

Once again, Guys, Thank You.

It is really encouraging to hear support for this effort.

Richard N.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast