• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sonic Implants -- I want to love it but ..... opinions sought

Share/Bookmark

Sonic Implants -- I want to love it but ..... opinions sought

I am looking for "real user" opinions on the complete Sonic Implants lib.
    I have listened to the demos and ... I am just not getting it.

Could this be a matter of the demo's not fully showcasing the libs.

These days we usually have the opposite problem where demo's are the BEST example of what a Lib can do.

So I am honestly looking for some input from Sonic Implants owners to help me "get" the sound of this lib.

I am currently pissed at VSL and looking at all alternatives for the funds I budgeted towards the Cube. Sonic Implants is on that short list.

Thanks in advance for you posts.

Re: Sonic Implants -- I want to love it but ..... opinions sought

What is it that you're not getting?

I can't say that I'm a user but I have sat down and played through a bit of the library first hand.

Ars

Wow - bit sensitive Craig?

Clearly you forget how many times I posted kudos for your work. (and PM'd you regarding "western duck").

My point is that when I compare demos of several libs from the same composer - (ie. you, Simon, etc.) - there are more moments that shout "sample library in use" in the SI demo's.
    But people who's work and ears I respect rave about the lib and thus its on my very short list for next purchase.

As far as dissing VSL -
    You can't possibly defending their complete abandonement of their loudly shouted claim that "you'll never have to pay for the same samples twice".
    If I purchase the Cube standard I will indeed be paying full price for samples I already own.

So from this point forward I would appreciate not hearing from library endorsers.
    Craig is an endorser of both VSL and SI for those that were not aware and I think its in spectaculary poor form for him to take a shot at me in this manner.

My interest in SI is sincere.
    I am comparing demos from a few libs on a killer set of monitors.
    My post here is an honest attempt to gain further input about a Lib that is not discussed often enough.
    And I am simply afraid of spending a lot of money to end up disappointed. (we ALL know that feeling).
    Since demos are all we have to go on i have to call it as I hear it.

Sharmys VSL demo's have less obvious "sample" moments than his SI ones. Apples to Apples comparison.

I would greatly appreciate any help from an SI owner who can share his feelings about it when compared to other libs in his arsenal.

Thanks much and sorry this thread took an ugly turn.

Ed, your 2 posts are entirely reasonable and respectful. I read them as sincerely questioning the SAMPLES not the composers.

Indeed, I happen to share Ed's reservations... particularly regarding the strings. I know that the majority of people here happen to love them... but I just never heard what they are hearing... I have played the strings myself a couple of times in past, and the first hand experience did nothing to change my perceptions...
    As I've said before, I think the brass is the strongest part of the set (remeniscent of the SAM brass sound perhaps), and apparently the percussion is opulent (ie. just plain huge number of samples), though I'm not sure that I like the sound so much, in comparison to True Strike..

I'm not certain how much value the SI set would bring to a Pro Ed owner..

Though certainly (as has been already noted by others), what with VSL's rather big change in gear SI is in an interesting new position. One which I hope they will act upon with more new samples and more new advanced giga features (anything collaborative planned with SI for GS4? There should be. )

Craig - you are a class act. Always have been. That's why I was a bit stunned at your post.
    But no harm no foul.

I just listened to "western duck" again --- to funny and TOO GOOD!

You truly have always stayed out of the the fray and I imagine that's a really hard thing to do. And any compliments I have ever sent you were sincere, deserved and based solely on your music (ie- no sucking up).

SI -
    I was trying to coyly hint that maybe there are reasons that the demo's don't fully show off the lib (ie- you guys were working with beta versions).
    I really did not intend to offend any composer as I too have a sore spot regarding critisism.
    If you think critisism is hard in the forums .... try getting it from Jazztimes, jazzis and downbeat as I often do. (me bumm hurts!)

I am always open to the possibility that I am the one "not getting it". and am open to opinions that could enlighten my ears. But its funny how hard it is to put that into words especially in these forums were people are usually taking extreme positions about libs.
    Rave - attack - defend. Seems to be the cycle.
    I was doing none of the above. I'm just not knocked out by the demo's and I am open to the possiblity that I AM the one out to lunch.

My anger towards VSL has opened the door to looking at Libs I would not have considered otherwise since VSL would have had ALL my money.

SI complete, True Strike, qlso plat (i own gold) are all contenders and I REALLY would appreciate any and all opinions in weighing these options.

Class follows class.

Post Re: Sonic Implants -- I want to love it but ..... opinions sought

Quote Originally Posted by ed hamilton
    I am looking for "real user" opinions on the complete Sonic Implants lib.
    I have listened to the demos and ... I am just not getting it.

Could this be a matter of the demo's not fully showcasing the libs.

These days we usually have the opposite problem where demo's are the BEST example of what a Lib can do.

So I am honestly looking for some input from Sonic Implants owners to help me "get" the sound of this lib.

I am currently pissed at VSL and looking at all alternatives for the funds I budgeted towards the Cube. Sonic Implants is on that short list.

Thanks in advance for you posts.
    Hello Ed,

I just wanted to share my thoughts with you in regard to the new Sonic Implants Symphonic Collection. I know it's becoming increasingly difficult nowadays to distinguish and choose between the various full orchestra libraries available, so your question is a valid and pertinent one.

I've personally been using Sonic Implants products for several years. I incorporate them as part of my template in all of my work and consistently find them to be excellent. Aside from their various instrumental libraries such as Silk Road, Afro-Cuban Percussion etc., I have been a user of their String and Brass Collections. I recently obtained the new Symphonic Collection. As with their previous efforts, I found the new Collection to be extremely well sampled with terrific and consistent sound quality across all instruments.

As with the VSL, it offers a wealth of articulations in all departments, not to mention very playable and musically useful programming that makes terrific use of Gigastudio 3's various new technologies. The most impressive of these is SI's new legato technology, which is put to great use. The best example of this is their new Woodwinds Collection. To put it mildly, the woodwinds are absolutely fantastic. They sound rich, warm and present with just the right amount of built in ambience from the Sonic Temple they were recorded in. The "legato" patches are stunningly realistic and a pleasure to play, connecting flawlessly and employing a beautiful -- and subtle -- natural vibrato. The Collection also offers ensemble patches, which again are truly fantastic. All articulations are covered as are sound effects indiginous to each instrument.

The Percussion Collection is probably the most comprehensive collection yet assembled. Not only does it cover every manner of instrument, but it also provides an array of choices as to how those instruments were played. Again, the samples have the right amount of built in ambience and I've found that they work well in both subtle and aggressive musical settings. Indeed you can achieve a massive percussion section sound if you need to.

The String and Brass Collections are top of the list go-to choices in my opinion. The strings rank among the most playable and versatile available. The same goes for the brass. And with new programming such as round robin alternation, the libraries have plenty to offer along with their extensive wealth of articulations and effects. The SI Strings are also one of the very few to have sampled an actual second violin section, making for a more natural and realistic sound when working in sections. Their ensemble patches alone are worth the price of admission.

All the SI Collection patches work well in small and large ensemble settings, are extremely musical not suffering from the "sounds like a sample" sound, are very playable and provide all the necessary options (without overwhelming the user) required to achieve a convincing orchestral sound.

As far as the demos are concerned, I've personally found it difficult to be able to adequately showcase any product in a manner that fits everyone's individual writing style. With this in mind, it is quite possible that the demos you've heard, no matter how good, may not provide good examples of what you personally strive to achieve while employing your writing methods. Regardless, as with most new comprehensive orchestral collections, you'll find the SI Collection will contribute a great deal to achieving that sound by being versatile, comprehensive and most important to a sample library -- musical.

I will posting my new Symphonic Collection demos for Sonic Implants very soon. Perhaps they may help you further to make a decision about this wonderful library...

Hope this helps...

Best wishes,

Kaveh Cohen

www.kavehcohen.com

Kaveh that's great news!

Will the demos feature all the SI sections? I would really want to see in action some of the new giga3 functionalities like the legato on all the sections.

Kaveh,

Thanks so much for the detailed post.
    Full of usefull info.

I really look forward to your demos!

If I could ask one question though ... could you compare the amount of room tone (reverb) in the samples to say ... qlso gold and VSL? Those to libs are clearly at the far end of the spectrum. Were does SI fit in between those two?

It's hard to discern the amount of ambience built in as composers tend to add more verb to their mixes.

Thanks again for you detailed post!

Go Back to forum